Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Brake backing plate rusted to bits

guitarman1951

Brake backing plate rusted to bits

Post by guitarman1951 »

Well after getting the rear hub off, the backing plate is revealed as well rusted, and all the usual part suppliers say "no longer available", bar one who quoted £180 for a single plate. So, has anyone found a different make, i.e. Mondeo, Vw, that may be adapted to fit with a bit of "fettling". once again any help or suggestions will be appreciated
Attachments
Paint backing plate.jpg

silverdart

Re: Brake backing plate rusted to bits

Post by silverdart »

I do not know if these are similar to the Dart ones but, if they are it is not difficult to make some from 16swg sheet steel,
This is what I did using the old ones as a template. The attachment arms also 16swg., were pop riveted to the backing plate.
Sorry, no pics. available.

Dave.

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

Hi
I've checked in the parts book and there are no backplates shown front or rear, and my car (1963) doesn't have any.
John

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

backing plates were not fitted to early cars ( as john wager states ) but they were fitted to all post '63 cars under the reasoning that they extend pad and disc life by reducing the amount and particle size of road grit to contact the brake disc. Some matching backplate or something close that can be modified to fit MUST be available.. the UK made version of the Dana 44 axle (salisbury 4HA) with dunlop disc brakes was fitted to many different cars ..and aftermarket conversions are readily available for disc brakes on the US made dana axles.. If I can find cross reference a part that will work, I will post the info..

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Practically any HA axle back plate can be made to fit with slight modification to the caliper bolt spacing, the only difference will be whether the caliper is leading or trailing as that specifies where the cut out for the caliper is
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi IAN Slade, Can you explain" HA" regards

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The HA refers to a Salisbury designation, the SP and many others use the 4HA type
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.