Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Embarassing question about gear selection

Chipale

Embarassing question about gear selection

Post by Chipale »

OK, when I joined this forum two weeks back I apologised in advance for possible daft laddie questions I would ask. So, here goes.
I've been driving for 38 years and have owned many cars across that period. However, I have only ever driven an automatic once - a hire car for a day! Tomorrow I will be driving my 1968 V8 250 home from Edinburgh and I'm a bit nervous (to say the least) about driving an automatic with two selections, D2 and D1. Basically, which do I select and when? I did test drive the car and I know the previous owner will brief me but what does each do (in simple terms). I have to drive out of Edinburgh first then its open motorway driving and I've got visions of me getting this all wrong. I just want to know how I get the thing to go forward!
Please, no laughing at this rudimentary question. We all have to start somewhere (albeit in my case at 56 years old)!

johnwager

Re: Embarassing question about gear selection

Post by johnwager »

Quite simply, in D1 the car starts off in 1st gear and then changes through 2nd and then into 3rd (top) gear.
In D2 the car starts off in 2nd gear and then changes up to top.
If you are unsure the best option is to put it in D1 and let the gearbox do the rest.
Hope that helps.
John

John Chatfield

Post by John Chatfield »

Gee I'm glad someone else replied, I thought it would have been the same as a modern auto box where you put it in D and the auto box starts in D1 then D2 and then D3
by selecting D2 it would start in D1 then shift to D2 and hold it there and not go up to D3 for pulling up steep hills , Then D1 would hold bottom gear only and not shift gear.
which would be used on very steep hills,towing etc. Thing is my dart's auto but as yet I haven't finished it so I 'm only used to modern ones,,, I'm getting desperate to finish mine now :lol:

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Chipale,

That's what the Forum is for - "searching for knowledge".

I have scanned, in pdf, the 3x pages from the V8-250 Drivers Handbook pertaining to the use of the Autobox.

Hope it is of assistance ??

Best wishes.

Richard.
Attachments
Using an auto box - 3.pdf
(306.45 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Using an auto box - 2.pdf
(657.96 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Using an auto box - 1.pdf
(666.17 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Thank you for the advice and Richard for the manual extracts - very helpful. Car (I think) comes with manual so will be reading that this morning before I head home this afternoon. Phew, my little TR6 wasnt like this!
Apologies to anyone on A1 south of Edinburgh this afternoon if there is a traffic jam due to some eejit in a slow moving Daimler!
Fergus

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Fergus.

If driving an automatic is new to you then you must, Sit on your left foot! for reasons that will become apparent if you do not.

Steve.

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Thanks Steve. I have tube of super glue for left foot and floor
Fergus

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

Hi Fergus
How did you're journey go?
Have you got the car home?
John

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Yes I did. Most of the stress was constant looking at temp gauge while sitting in Edinburgh traffic jam trying to get on to A1. Once there, nice smooth drive down the road. Did find myself reaching out to non existent gear lever on the left a few times so getting used to automatic will take time.
Car gets first deep clean today. Products lined up, job list written and all to be done before 9.00pm tonight and final Line of Duty!
Fergus