Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sonus / or others

fredeuce

Re: Sonus / or others

Post by fredeuce »

Steve, When discussing this with Dean Tighe he indicated that he built in an offset into the cam lobes knowing it is to be used with a mushroom type tappet.

For any further details I would suggest contacting Dean on 07 3271 6001.

https://tighecams.com.au/

Cheers, Fred

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Excellent , great that some engineers think to situation right through . Thats one mean cam. ran out of paper on the lift axis. Have to get a taller sheet to lay it out . If you need to change pushrod lengths the longer ones can be cut back and the ends reused by pressing them back on. I sourced some aircraft alloy for my setup to align with the longer valves. You'll need to shorten the guides somewhat if the heads use seals . What springs are used to cope with the extra lift and loads ? Beehive , conical, twin ? Seated /full lift pressures ?

Great that someone is getting ahead. I'm burning the midnight oil finishing of a six month extension to the house. -- 10.5 x 6.5 mtr. Four car garage and apartment above . all i wanted was the garage space !! Will be back on the project very shortly.

regards Steve

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve,
This engine when I purchased it never had valve stem seals. Given the application of this engine I will not be fitting them with the new cam. I have milled down the valve guides by .200". This permits overall valve travel of .570" . This is ample for this cam.

As for the springs I will use the springs as fitted. I did speak to the original engine builder and he indicated all of this was upgraded at that time. They appear similar to the Cooper S style springs. They have performed well in the past so will see how it goes.

Focus now is on the lifters and sorting that out.

Cheers,
Fred

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

G'day across the ditch,
when youve dummied it up just check the inner most section of the spring retainer ( inner spring location ring) against the guide ht. Spring bind ht should be good with those springs . Might pay to check the seated and full lift pressures seeing the cam has some significant lift . 75lb seat / 190 f/lift is enough. They may come up higher as ive set these springs at the above seated and the load at . 390" is around 190 LB.
cheers Steve