Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Piston Rings Suppliers

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Piston Rings Suppliers

Post by grahamemmett »

I've seen a company recommended on the forum but can't find the post now. Any recommendations for piston rings?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Piston Rings Suppliers

Post by Db n j »

Graham,

Have you tried thorntons in wellington ? John chatfield is a daimler man and very helpful 😀

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

You could try Gosnays in Romford they had a whole house full of vintage engine spares last I knew.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Brilliant. Thanks all.
I must get a tutorial in searching topics for content.
I will create a list and add it to the sticky Suppliers topic.
Northwich, Cheshire

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Graham,

First port of call is a good piston ring supplier who will cross reference your size requirements with catalogue stock items for all other engines. This avoids being ripped off by "vintage" parts suppliers who do just that then double the price.

Then Thorntons in Wellington.

If you do need to get rings specially made, go directly to a ring manufacturer - again not just to a vintage parts supplier who will add a mark-up.

I was quoted an exorbitant price by a firm "down south" who felt so guilty at the price he said "But at least they are best quality material and made exactly to size" - can a piston ring be anything but??

So I went to H.P. Piston Rings in Chesterfield who spent a considerable time measuring up the bores etc.(*) and advising what I needed to have made - so if push comes to shove, give them a try. The contact is David Hollis. Tel: 01246 261299. Email: sales@hprings.com (they also supply from stock).

Before you order though - measure your bores for wear so you can get oversize rings and although a delicate job, then gap them accordingly. As a rough guide, you can have up to 0.010" bore wear and re-ring.

Good luck in your search!

Stan.

(*) With a sleeve valve, you can take the "cylinder bores" with you when you go out - on a bus - to the pictures - down a scrap yard. .............

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Made me chuckle Stan! I've my Aussie mate over for a few weeks so we may come and stare in amazement at your shines bulkhead :D
Northwich, Cheshire

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

G'day Graham (and friend from Oz)

Still waiting for piston rings, as they have run out of drain pipe and mis-laid the hacksaw. Today I'm taking the gearbox drain plug washer for chrome plating, then I'm going to fit the plug leads with a spirit level.

Regards,

Stan.

P.S.
You did you mean shiny bulkhead not bald head didn't you?