Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 brake calipers

John-B
Site Admin

SP250 brake calipers

Post by John-B »

Message from Brian Staples:
Hello Administrator,

The following is an e-mail sent to you through the administration contact page on "".

The message has been sent from an account on the site.
Username: Brianstaples
Profile: http://forum.dloc.co.uk/memberlist.php? ... file&u=248

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rear brake calipers no long available, will any thing else fit.

David S

Re: SP250 brake calipers

Post by David S »

There must be some somewhere.
Manners has them part [RH part No 136203 & LH part No 136203E] exchange/reconditioned at £449.04.
But I'm sure i have one in a cupboard in my shed... but they are handed so i need to know which side you need?
I think the standard ones are off another car [i.e. parts bin] and machined for the handbrake linkage to fit.
Get in touch with me if you want to take it further.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Try pastparts.co.uk in Bury St Edmunds for all things regarding brakes, they are excellent.
Paul

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Rear callipers have been elusive for quite a while. Sadly they fall into a category of parts that may stay elusive.
Not enough need to warrant tooling up for production so people have to change from original spec to get around it.
It’s the sort of thing that people have on the shelf but are fearful to part with “ just in case “.
The model is just too popular and supported by suppliers for the club to throw money at.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Barry Thorne used to have a list of equivalent parts from other cars. Not just brakes but all sorts.

Alternatively.....
I’m told that he rear axle from an MGB fits in place exactly.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Doesn’t the MGB rear axle have drum brakes ?
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

No idea only repeating what I’d been told. I can’t see anybody would do that, would they ? :(
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The pistons are MK10 Jaguar, the caliper is peculiar to the SP purely because of the hand brake arrangement, if you can find a caliper that is similar for the mounting holes and the disc diameter it may be possible to weld on the handbrake lugs, welding has increased in capabilities since the SP was produced. Providing they are not cracked the caliper can be over bored and a sleeve shrink fitted in place to the original size or a similar size easily sourced if bore corrosion is the problem.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.