Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Double Six rear subframe

Hullkr88

Daimler Double Six rear subframe

Post by Hullkr88 »

Hi all,

New to this. Recently purchased a 1996 Double six.
I’ve been advised on MOT that the rear bushes need changing. I’m looking for information on whether it’s a big job, rough estimate on time and parts, and where’s best to source parts.

Thanks for your help

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Daimler Double Six rear subframe

Post by classiclife »

I'm not sure how big a job it is, as have never tackled one.

You can be certain that nothing is going to budge without a fight.

As for parts, David Manners Group is always my first port of call - decent prices, service and quality.

Good luck.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Hi, there was a Double Six in auction here in Finland recently.
;) Pekka

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hi,

do you mean the bushes in the A-Frame of the rear axle as shown in the picture?

Rolf B.
Attachments
2.Bild März 2010.jpg

Hullkr88

Post by Hullkr88 »

Hi Rolf

Yes that’s the one. Both sides need replacing. Garage was worried it may be a big job to remove and replace. And also where to source parts.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hi Hullkr,

O.K., I would say you've looked for the wrong garage. This is my personally opinion.

To do this job you have to lift the DD6 on a hoist and to lift her up. Then remove the rear wheels. Next is to secure the complete rear axle assembly by a hydraulic platform. Then you can remove the mounting brackets under the mounting frame bushes on both sides of the A-Frame (mounting frame). Next step is to remove the two upper bolts of the Link Assembly Construction.

Now you're able to lower the complete rear axle assemble very slowly, because the mounting frame bushes can be fixed by corrosion in the conical seat of the A-Frame. If this is the case, est is to use a big lever to disconnet the bushes from their seat. If this doen't work you need assistance by heat to loosen the bush with the lever.

If this is done, you can lower the rear axle assembly for 4 inches to get space to extract the bush out of the A-Frame by a thick metal washer, which you put on the upper side of the bush. Then you need a big threaded rod, guide it threw the hole of the bush and the big washer and fix it from the upper side with a nut.

Then you need a tube section, which is in diameter a little bit larger than the bush and has a length of round about 6 inches. This will be placed on the lower side of the bush with a thick metal plate with a hole for the threaded rod, covering the tube section from the underside. Then you put a washer and a nut to the lower end of the threaded rod and tighten the lower nut while holding up the upper nut. When tightening the lower nut, the bush will come out of the A-Frame and slip into the tube section.

For fitting the new bush, you take the threaded rod with the lower nut and washer put on the metal plate and the bush. Then guide the rod through the lower side of the mouth in the A-Frame and attach a tube section around the bund on the upper side, covering the tube section with another metal plate with a hole for the threaded rod and put on the washer and the nut.

Then apply a little bit silicone grease at the outer side of the bush to enable a smoother slide into the mouth. Now you have to tighten the upper nut while holding up the lower nut and the bush will slip in.

When refitting the axle to the body, please take care, there is a small Spigot Bush Shim on each bush. Have a look at them, when lowering the axle and lay them aside, because you need them now for reassembling. And very important: Apply a coat of copper paste inside the aluminium bush which touches the conical seat. This will help so much whenever you have to do this job again of disconnecting the A-Frame bushes from the conical seat.
Fortunateley I’ve restored the rear axle assembly of my 1994 Daimler Double Six completely. Therefor I was able to press the A-Frame bushes out and in by a hydraulic press.

As a supplier for the Mounting Frame Bushes I can cemment SNG Barratt or David Manners to you.

I hope my explanations will help you or your garage.

Rolf B.
Attachments
DSCN2084a.JPG

Hullkr88

Post by Hullkr88 »

Rolf, you are an absolute star. Thank you very much

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Yes I agree, excellent step-by-step guide; well done that man.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024