Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear wheel arch NS

sp250boy

Rear wheel arch NS

Post by sp250boy »

Gent's
not sure quite what to do, with my Lanchester La 11 1939

The wheel arch wooden frame is rotten and there is no strength there at all.

Has anybody got a template of the arch or know anybody that could help?
Lanchester la11 arch.jpg
lanchester arch 2.jpg
thanks for any feedback
It is a Lanchester

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Rear wheel arch NS

Post by John-B »

Email JT7196 (Alan Wheatley) who has a LA11 and lives in Yeovil, not a million miles away from you.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi John,yes my N/S rear Arch was the same, I was fortunate to have a friend who was a cabinet maker , who was well qualified to sort out my car.
One way would be for you to laminate several layers of Marine ply to recreate the correct curve around some formers,
.I have some pictures taken during the repair of mine, but not sure that they would be of any use to you unfortunately.

Cheers Al

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello, Have you read this topic? http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2848
All the best, Ranald

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

IMG_1655 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1654 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1333 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1318 (Medium).jpeg
Hi, yours is better than mine for that part of the resto, I clamped my doors on with a sash cramp as my body was very weak and prone to distort! this is the jig/template I made for steaming and bending the strips of kiln dried ash sections, made a template from the remains (not much) and traced the outline of the rear arch and transposed that onto a sheet of ply and fitted steel strips and small angles to hold the ash laminate pieces using g-clamps to hold them fast and used a wallpaper steamer and a length of drainpipe and steamed for about 45 mins and bent them into the former/jig and left for a day and then used the same jig/former to glue them together with cascamite/resintite adhesive and used the clamps to squeeze out the excess glue and stored them until needed and trimmed to fit using bandsaw/plane/sander etc, not an easy job and I didn't get it right 1st time, I don't know if this is the pro way of doing it but it worked and the arches are very strong and used this book as a guide, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/358 ... -companion. hope this helps Tony.
Last edited by buckfield on Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Some pics of the jig I made. upper is the lower rear section and the smaller is the rear door area. and pics of completed arch but still needing sanding a bit. Tony
IMG_1657 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1656 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1373 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1372 (Medium).jpeg

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Tony,
thanks for the pictures...

What is the size of the ash you used?

Don't suppose you want to make another arch :D

Thanks Steve
It is a Lanchester

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, yep ash strip was 1/4 thickness and 2 1/2 wide all kiln dried which you can get of ebay, just make sure there are no defects and avoid any ash with knots or lumps etc. it was hard to begin with, steaming/bending and gluing didn't take long to do but most of the work was in making the lap joint accurate and then use the cascamite to fill any small gaps, a bandsaw was a real bonus and an electric planer, laminating is stronger than a single piece of wood so you can cut it down a bit and still retain the strength, I've only fitted the arch on one side as an injury to my arm has prevented anymore work on the rear wood structure, but have made all the rear structure, I'm just waiting for my arm to heal before before continuing the resto, look online for tips of how to steam and bend the ash and you should be ok with it. I'm not a "natural" woodworker but I managed to get it right the second time, the arches are the hardest to get right, the rest is mainly flat ash sections. good luck. Tony