Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wheel studs

ke4fui

Wheel studs

Post by ke4fui »

How do you get the wheel studs out? I need to change a few on my 1960 SP250 and the local machine shop said you can not press them out. Thanks

bakergh

Re: Wheel studs

Post by bakergh »

Hi William
I do not know for sure about an SP 250 but the Daimler Conquest wheel studs have a fine thread which screws into the hub and then punched on the screwed in end to stop them unscrewing.
I know this because a tyre company got over enthusiastic with a wheel gun and managed to remove a stud rather than the wheel nut.
Graham

ke4fui

Post by ke4fui »

Thanks Graham. I thought they might be screw in studs, as seen on David Manners web site. The screw in end has a pattern of lines, almost like slots for a straight screwdriver to fit but very shallow.

Bill

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

I would think that those shallow lines are where the chisel and hammer are applied after screwing into the hub to spread the end of the stud.
I expect removal of the studs will be difficult, it may be best to grind off the punched end flush to the hub before unscrewing is attempted.
Graham

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I have a set of four hubs with good studs and nuts which you are welcome to for the price of the postage for one or all of them.

ke4fui

Post by ke4fui »

Thanks Ian, I have worked out a fix so the studs are usable again and I will not have to replace them. Amazing what a small grinder and a Dremal tool can do.