Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 spare wheel retaining bolt

Paulkennedy

SP250 spare wheel retaining bolt

Post by Paulkennedy »

Please what is the thread size of the bolt that holds the spare wheel in place in the boot.
Thanks
Paul

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: SP250 spare wheel retaining bolt

Post by daimlersteve »

Have seen all manner of threads there , Memory says 1/2" bsf ( could be wrong here though )

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

daimlersteve wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 pm Have seen all manner of threads there , Memory says 1/2" bsf ( could be wrong here though )
Not quite, it's ½" - 20 UNF.
Capture.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

look at the size of that bolt head. True steam engine sizing. (probably left over from the War. )

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

They were specials for spare wheels as the cup was dished and the standard bolt head allowed the wheel brace to slip off, can't remember what the original spanner was for wire wheels as I had a spider brace when I swapped hubs.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thank you for your replies. I would like to find a long enough bolt to prevent the wire wheel jumping around in the boot well. I tried packing the wheel but it is only the board above it and the two flimsy turn latches that keep it down which don't have enough strength, so I will toddle along to my local nut and bolt man.
Thanks Paul

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

If you can get a long enough bolt in UNF weld a nut to the bolt head, if you can't get a length of UNF stud bar and weld two nuts to the end and grind a taper to the bottom end, easier to locate ther captivated nut without cross threading.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

The bolt for the 4J steel rim is a 4 1/2" x 1/2" UNF - 20tpi. Head size 13/16" - use a plug socket. The plain shank length is 2 1/2". You can buy a standard bolt but the plain shank length is 3 1/4" so you may have increase the thread length depending on your rim size.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thanks for the latest suggestions, I had thought to buy a couple of bolts if nesessary cut the head off one and weld together. I will see what bolts are available.
Paul

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Ah, that may have prompted my confusion -- Big head ( 13/16" ) socket size -- 3/4" being the normal for 1/2"thread.
Clearing out the workshop in prep for the blue printing of the big engine . and a gearbox rebuild before a body arrives on Sat for fettlin prior to paintshop delivery
Steve