Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Drophead steering box

David Williamson

Daimler Conquest Drophead steering box

Post by David Williamson »

Hi,
Has anyone had any problems with the Conquest steering box. My steering has always had around 3" of travel at the wheel, but now I notice the steering box is leaking through the bottom shaft.
I can't find anything on the forum.
Any ideas?
regards
David

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler Conquest Drophead steering box

Post by Salmons »

The leak is due to the Felt washer being worn out the best thing to do is to fill the steering box with a thin grease. The play is due to wear, but this may be improved by the adjuster on top of the box.
Salmons

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Or, here could be another alternative: https://www.rvs.fi/en/tuote/rvs-technol ... treatment/ I have used it in my DJ251 with great results and in all my cars. In steering box, in chassis lubrication, engine and differential. Gearbox not, since it seems to be working ok. RVS is not STP or similar. It really works. Filling valleys and cutting tops, creating strong smooth surface, lasting extremely long time. I am not a salesman of RVS, only an enthusiast of old vechicles.
Pekka

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Part 1: If the leak is from the lower bearing retaining plate then it’s likely the 4 retaining bolts have worked loose or the gasket has failed. If the bolts are loose that would explain the free travel in the steering wheel. The illustration may assist. The gasket is item no. 28; the items no. 29 are shims for adjusting shaft end float. I would definitely not use grease because it can channel - use the correct oil SAE 90. The workshop manual insists that grease must never be used.
Part 2: If you mean by ‘the bottom shaft, the drop arm (item 17) then in all probability any or all of the 2 bushings pressed into the housing or the drop arm itself are worn which would also explain loss of travel, assuming the steering box has been adjusted correctly. Apparently there is no felt washer fitted to the housing in this area unless the manual is in error.
Steve
Attachments
85081B9D-AAF7-4DB4-A842-0CA43E0ACBE8.jpeg

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

The rocker shaft and/or bushes are probably worn. The bushes can be replaced with the steering box in situ, the shaft may need machining as well. You can pull the bushes into the steering box with a piece of threaded rod and appropriate spacers. Get bushes smaller ID than the machined shaft and ream to size. If you are smart, machine the shaft to suit a modern double lip seal, leak problems will disappear.... DONT use grease, use steering box oil, otherwise you will have issues down the track with lack of lube to the PEG needles.

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Really good advice, I agree. Finally a drop of RVS together mixed with oil. Lift the front end up and move steering wheel left-right-left abt 20-30 times. It ensures smooth metal-ceramic surfaces for extremely long time. Good luck!

David Williamson

Post by David Williamson »

Thanks for your advice all.
I will have to investigate further to see what is actually wrong.
I think the leak is coming down the rocker shaft. It is losing quite a lot of oil and I am surprised this has started suddenly after never leaking before. I may well ask fir more advice as I find out more!

regards

David