Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports fuel sender

Eric990j

Special Sports fuel sender

Post by Eric990j »

Hi all

I’m after some advice to replace the fuel sender in my Special Sports, David Beals had one in his web page but that’s disappeared now and it was £80. On eBay I can see other sender units about £25 which may do the job too. Like this one;

Fuel Tank Sensor Sender Sending Gauge 6 / 12V System + Gasket Willys CJ Jeep
BRAND NEW FUEL TANK LEVEL SENSOR GAUGE SENDING UNIT. The unit Comes complete with mounting gasket and float. The Float sits inside the tank to give accurate reading to gauge. This can be used on 6 or 12 volt current systems. The arm of the gauge measures 5" to the center of the float and the dia of the assembly is 3"
FUEL tank sending unit Ohm range is 186 Ohm on full fuel level & 12 Ohm on low fuel level.

3” is right and 5” on the arm seems good from measuring the tank, what do you think? The car is positive earth still, will that matter? What ohms do I need !

Many thanks

Eric

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Special Sports fuel sender

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I think the unit used on DB18's is wired different to the convention. Most sender units would end up reading full when empty and empty when full.

Pendle

Post by Pendle »

I replaced the sender on one of my Conquests. The key is understanding the resistance range of the sender (ohms). From my recollection, the Conquest sender is supposed to be 0-30 ohms. I found that the early (pre 1960s) General Motors (US) senders were of the same range, so I used one of these. I had to modify the fitting screw pattern from 5 screws to 6. The new sender has worked well for the past 5 years. I did not experience the issue that Marcel is alluding to - but perhaps the SS unit is different.
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

I ordered a 5” version off eBay for £10. Works really well and the holes lined up too. I thought for the price I might as well try it.
45E14005-3DA9-40A9-BDAC-40979279BC86.png
I’m not. Sure if inserting the photo worked, let me know if you want details.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Eric,

Thanks for the update - looks like a good solution - be good if you could clarify the seller / details.

thanks

db