Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Near Death Experience

mickeytwonames

Near Death Experience

Post by mickeytwonames »

I have my Consort back on the road and running well. However, someone failed to spot my trafficator and hand signal as I came down a hill on a wet road and pulled out where I had priority and stopped in the middle of the road. Fortunately, the brakes (recently adjusted) and properly aligned wheels managed to stop in time - thee inches to spare.
So, I am buying a kit from 'BetterCarLighting' that converts the front side and backlights to flashing yellow LED indicators when turning
QUESTION Please! Does anyone know the whereabouts of the junction box that the trafficators and the interior light connect to as described in the Lucas Wiring Diagram W78361

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Near Death Experience

Post by Phillmore »

Or you could try the flashing trafficator bulbs?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

On my DB18, prior to the Consort, this is the junction box that also powers the horns and is located on the bulkhead next to the regulator.
Looking at the wiring diagram they are almost the same and so I think it's the same box for the Consort.
You can download the Consort wiring diagram from https://www.db18.org/db18-document-store
or you can buy a wall-sized A0 poster from the club for £25
Last edited by grahamemmett on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Personally speaking - I've done away with the trafficator as they are just not seen by modern motorists.
I have fitted a BIG rear light unit with bright tail, stop and indicators from Hella. I was driving my modern car in front of my own car and saw that the small front indicator lights I currently have fitted and virtually useless as you cannot see them - so I am about to add some Hellas to the front as well.
I'm prioritising safety over originality - I'd rather have it that way.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks - I have the flashing trafficators - the angle of dangle was wrong for the other car - though my hand signal wasn't - and thank you for the junction box info - located it now

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

There is another junction box/boxes mounted on the inside of the chassis at the very back right hand side.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks for all the advice - I got a kit from 'Better Car Lighting' and after a lot of jiggery-pokery have fitted LED lamps that serve as a Red Brake/Orange Indicator Light in the rear lamp housings and installed a warm white/ yellow indicator side-light combo in the sidelight fitting. Using the flasher unit provided the car now has all-round visibility when indicating (semaphores have flashing LED installed as well. I have added a red LED strip brake light bar on the back window. Along with upgrading the Reversing light to a bright white LED I now feel much more confident that other people will know my direction of travel. The whole operation was (relatively) painless and took five hours over a W/E to complete. What's more the kit comes with a sound unit that fits on the bulkhead to give a comforting clicking sound like an old fashioned flasher unit. All up and running for £230.