Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel Gauge Conundrum

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Fuel Gauge Conundrum

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps , as some of you will know I have had a problem with an unreliable Fuel Gauge, so I very recently purchased a generic replacement from eBay.
Now I know that my “Reserve” Tap supplies Two gallons , so my question is, does the Two gallon reserve start at the Empty line, of after ? ?

Cheers Al 😊😊😊

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Fuel Gauge Conundrum

Post by Stan Thomas »

The fuel guage measures the whole quantity of fuel in the tank which therefore includes reserve - which is simply a second feed pipe the inlet of which is a bit lower than the normal "non-reserve" feed pipe.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Stan, then in theory, when my gauge reads 2 galls, or slightly below, then that should be the time when the” Reserve Knob” should be activated?
In truth, my Gauge has never be accurate since I put my car back on the road in 1991 ! ! Now I’ve got the new sender, I shall install it and see if I am able to get it somewhere near accurate ! 😀😀

Cheers Al 😊

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Well. .............................. No!

You see the sender unit in the tank is merely a variable resitance, and the fuel guage a voltmeter with different markings - so as the fuel level drops the resitance gets more and the (voltmeter) fuel guage registers a lower (voltage) value.

As the fall of the sender unit float is near linear, however, unless you have a fuel tank with a uniform cross-section, the guage will not be that accurate - notwithstanding the fuel slopping about as it gets low.

Imagine a circular tank end-on where the cross-sectional measurement varies with the vertical distance and you'll see what I mean.

Best thing is wait until you run out of fuel and note the fuel guage reading as you switch to reserve, as this will give you the best indication for future reference - remembering that guages are not really that accurate!