Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

4.5 Specs (and parts?)

tf737sb

4.5 Specs (and parts?)

Post by tf737sb »

Good Morning (Here in the 'States),
I currently have a client who discovered an early Daimler Hemi disguised and advertised as a 331 Early Chrysler. I have been given the job to overhaul and 'heat up' this piece. The engine is finally apart after severe water damage and outdoor storage. Most of the rods and pistons aren't going to be salvageable, the crank is in great shape and appears to be std shaft size. After a little reading and measuring, I've found that this is actually a 4.5l most likely from a Majestic Major (or so my research has told me). As it stands right now, I have welded up the damaged combustion chambers, and am preparing to bore the block for sleeves or a bigger bore with custom high compression pistons. Before I dive deeply, I'm looking for a little more specific measurements and parts interchangeability between the SP250 and its big brother. I noticed there's a 'parts wanted' section of the forum, so feel free to move the post if it doesn't fit the criteria. I am in need of any application specific parts I can get my hands on. I will have custom hard pieces made (pistons, rods, cam, valves, etc).
We specialize in the bizarre, so this engine will go into a chopped and channeled 28 Ford Model A with all the good stuff (supercharger, fuel injection, clutch-less 'dog box' 6 speed), as long as I can source all the parts and info I need to complete the engine.

Thank you from Santa Barbara, California.
J&S East Valley Garage
@js.eastvalley

John-B
Site Admin

Re: 4.5 Specs (and parts?)

Post by John-B »

Welcome from across the pond :D
For parts, you have seen this topic: http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=159 as some SP250 suppliers like Barry Thorne or David Manners might be able to help.

The Club registrar for Majestic Majors DQ450 is Marcus Jones ( username Marcus ) so email him as he might be able to help. He registered from Honk Kong with many different Daimlers including multiple Majestic Majors! I don't know how he finds the space for them in HK :D

You never know, perhaps he could sell you a complete engine or at least pick parts from his many cars. He will also want to know the engine number of your engine.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Hi, general data for the engine from the workshop manual:
Attachments
Image (19).jpg
Image (18).jpg
Image (17).jpg

JDB

Post by JDB »

Also, as far as I am aware there is no interchangeability between parts for the 2.5 and the 4.5; I have fitted 2.5 spark plug tube seals to one of my Majestic Majors, but they are leaking a bit! The engine was only used on the DQs and DRs (saloon and limo Majestic Majors), they make a fantastic noise and are reasonably over-engineered, so you might be able to get quite a bit out of one without too much modification; I may have read the bearing caps are a bit weak, but I may have remembered that wrongly; Russ Carpenter is regarded as the V8 guru, but I don't know whether he's had much experience with the 4.5. Parts are available through the enthusiasts club run by John Nash but I think pretty much most of what he wants to sell is listed on ebay these days. Best of luck, I look forward to seeing what you put it in; have you got a youtube channel? So many American hotrod shops seem to have!
Cheers, JB

JDB

Post by JDB »

Lastly, for some reason the scans have listed the wrong way round (the last one is first and the first one last; very biblical) and they are a bit faint, if you can't read any of it let me know and I'll clarify.

tf737sb

Post by tf737sb »

Thank you for the service manual scans, those are exactly what I was after! Now I have an idea of how far I can bore this thing. After some Google-ing yesterday, I was able to contact Russ Carpenter's son via E-Mail, and he was able to give me some insight into parts as well. He and I got along instantly because of our history in drag racing. I will gladly take any other information or leads on parts if you have them!

I do have a YouTube channel, but it's mostly personal GoPro footage from our Land Speed racing exploits at Bonneville and El Mirage (Here in Southern CA).

You're welcome to check out the shop's Facebook and Instagram: @js.eastvalley
Theres's a snapshot of the things we get into on there.

Thanks again for the help.