Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Jaguar 340 Engine/Gearbox removal

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Jaguar 340 Engine/Gearbox removal

Post by Culbu »

Good evening guys,

My recent post disappeared. Anyway, it's not a problem.

Just to let you know that the good way to remove as a single unit the engine and the gearbox of a Jaguar 340 is by underneath !!

I removed them by the top and it was a hell ! But, once the front suspension got out, refitting is almost easy !! Anyway, it's a 2 person job.

Kind regards,

Julian

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Jaguar 340 Engine/Gearbox removal

Post by tjt77 »

if you watch videos of the factory building the cars.. ( Available to view on you tube there is 'Tour of jaguar factory 1961' which shows all stages of production of the Mk2) you will see that the engine and box was placed on top of front subframe ( along with driveline and rear axle) and the cars body lowered on to it on the production line .. yes..it is far easier to remove front subframe and drop the engine out from UNDER the car with the Jaguar inline 6...indeed when replacing clutches on the Mk2 jaguar (a job which I was always saddled with as the 'junior' mechanic) this used to be the most common approach at Jaguar dealerships.
BUT..with our Daimler versions it is more practical to remove the engine and box from the top, due to width of the V8 engine,making it impossible to remove from underneath when complete with cylinder heads.. also being shorter in length, and considerably lighter.. the daimler version lands itself well to removal from top...an engine leveler attached to a good quality engine hoist is critical to make the job practical via getting angle of engine and box correct for removal/installation..its also wise to jack the rear of the car up about 2 - 2 1/2 ' for best results.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Unfortunately, the factory film only applies to 2.4 litre cars with the Solex carburetters. This was one of the reasons why the Solexes were chosen when the 2.4 was introduced in 1955 . With the SU carburetted cars, i.e. 3.4 and 3.8 litre versions , and also the 240, this procedure could not be adopted, and the engine and gearbox were lowered in from on top.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, sorry to "hijack" this post as I can't contact Christopher Storey directly thru the normal DLOC email messaging system. I had a message from you or somebody with your name about DLOC messaging from you to me. was this you or has somebody gained access to an account on here? Tony

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Tony : I am sorry you were troubled . I heard from other sources that there was some sort of hack, but like you I could not reply to the Admin on this board - the e mails were rejected. Ignore and delete please !

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Christopher Storey wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:55 am Tony : I am sorry you were troubled . I heard from other sources that there was some sort of hack, but like you I could not reply to the Admin on this board - the e mails were rejected. Ignore and delete please !
It wasn't a hack, just the host's server problem. It seems that their security system suddenly got too clever and blocked IP addresses :o

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Ok thanks for that, just checking as we have to be vigilant. Tony

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Reply to Christopher Story:- its true that the film clearly shows a 2.4 litre version with its downdraft solex carbs in place in the lowering of body to drivetrain..(at a point close to 15 mins in in the sequence of placing the drivetrain on tressles ..you will observe a 3.4 engine and overdrive box sans carburetors..at other points, various version of the venerable jaguar twin cam are shown under assembly..including an E type sump being placed on an upside down engine) BUT ..all the MK2s were assembled in same manner on same assembly line ..on the 3.4 and 3.8 cars the carburetors were removed before the engine a box was placed in position on the tressles.. and re-fitted once the body was lowered into position over the mechanicals .. exactly the same method was employed at jaguar dealerships when replacing the clutch.. a job which was booked @ 13hrs as I recall .