Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Any idea? Sport Head

mickeytwonames

Any idea? Sport Head

Post by mickeytwonames »

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying my Daimler Consort - Left Oxford this morning at 6:00 am and had a two-hour drive over the Cotswolds - no traffic, perfect conditions, the car pulling like a good-un. A question. I've got a sports head on the engine (John Nash told me). As in the picture, there is a threaded hole that seems oil. I've put a blocker in pro-tem.
I can't find out what it's for and if it's OK to block it - any advice most welcome.
Regards and thanks
Michael
Attachments
IMG_3274[3328].JPG

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Any idea? Sport Head

Post by grahamemmett »

Do you mean the item between the two spark plugs?
If so this is one if two studs that the Bakelite plug cover is attached to. You’ve obviously not got one but it’s not important. However the hole shouldn’t seep oil and you have the correct stud in there. Seal the thread with thread sealer and leave it.
Sports head? The Special Sports has an aluminium head and twin carbs. Is this your set up?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

No - I apologise I should have put a pointy thing like an arrow.
It is on the very right bottom corner of the head.

The engine had been supplied by the Club in 1996.
It has a sports head but only one carb.
What would happen if I put on TWO?
Regards
Michael
Attachments
screw.jpg

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

If you could find an inlet manifold, carbs, rocker cover and oil bath air cleaner. You would get a slight increase in power but probably not significant enough for all of the effort
The only thing I can think of for the threaded hole is to fasten the petrol pipe to the head with a “P” clip.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Many thanks - I'll stick with what I've got - balancing carbs has never been my strong point (I'm slightly overweight :-).
Thanks for the tip about the clip.
Michael

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Don’t be tempted to attach your fuel line to it though! The line needs to routed well clear of the engine to avoid the dreaded fuel vaporisation - the bane of DB18s.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

I'll block it off as there's a small oil leakage through it - otherwise I'll take you advice - there is an unattached clip on the fuel line - it will remain so