Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Strange feature?

pjbowman

Strange feature?

Post by pjbowman »

I recently looked at an SP250 in need of restoration (on which I passed), but there is a curiosity I'd like to hear from the group about. In the attached picture, does anyone know what the 'gill-like' openings are just to the right of the heater box (as viewed in the picture)? On my car, that area is solid, and is where the body tag resides.

Peter B.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Strange feature?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Certainly unusual!

Could perhaps be some owners attempt to reduce under - hood (or bonnet to us) temperatures by venting air through the 'gills' and out through the plenum grille? I have seen this area vented to aid cooling on a car before, but not done quite so elegantly.

The picture shows the six rubber hood buffers in place and these are normally adequate to establish a gap between the hood and the body allowing hot air from the engine bay to escape. A problem normally arises when the buffers are mistakenly replaced with a full lip seal around the hood aperture. Maybe in this case the car lived in sunnier part of the USA?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

pjbowman

Re: Strange feature?

Post by pjbowman »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm Certainly unusual!

Could perhaps be some owners attempt to reduce under - hood (or bonnet to us) temperatures by venting air through the 'gills' and out through the plenum grille? I have seen this area vented to aid cooling on a car before, but not done quite so elegantly.

You are correct, if it is owner-done, it is a very nice job! Never seen anything quite like it.
Peter B.