Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Front ash frame rotten

sp250boy

Front ash frame rotten

Post by sp250boy »

Hi
The near side ash frame that supports the front door and windscreen is completely rotten. I guess the drain hole in the sunroof has just leaked water over the frame and caused the rot.

Has anyone replaced this section of the frame?

1939 LA11
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Front ash frame rotten

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, I had mine replaced by a friend who also happened to be a Cabinet maker.
The section that is the most troublesome is at the lower end of the front Door Jam , where it curves round at the bottom you will need to remove the Nails that attach the Body to the wood, once removed you will then need to literally “Peel” back the Skin carefully to reveal the Head of a Set-bolt , the retaining Nut will be found on the inside of the Woodwork, I’ll take a couple of pictures to try and show you what I mean .

J
26642AF7-8AC8-49D3-9950-17D386274970.jpeg
This is the area that the Head of the Set Bolt resides , the Nut will be found on the inside face of wood member in the engine bay.
The only way to remove it is to peel back the Skin I’m afraid.
E937A68A-CFD7-439A-9AF6-ED273A99CF21.jpeg
This Trimming Strip will need to be removed to gain access to the Nails that attach the Body to the lower end of the A Frame
3150D32D-3388-4865-9652-29F37BE7D4BD.jpeg
Not a good photo I’m afraid ( we’ll it is nearly 11:00 pm 😂😂) this is the area that needs to be carefully “Peeled back “
The wood section that runs forward need to be examined carefully it was a bit soft on my car , so I applied some Wood Hardener which has proved to be vets effective over the last 41yrs !!,

Hope all this helps , Al 😊😊

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
I have managed to remove the ash section from the Doner car that I bought last year. Interestingly that was in perfect condition.

So I need to remove the old rotten wood and replace the section from the doner car..

Anybody need a 1939 LA11 Chassis :D
It is a Lanchester

Galdog

Post by Galdog »

Hi Steve,
I also need both A pillars in ash as they are rotted out on my LA11 they have been poorly repiared in the past.

Could you photograph and make a template off your master sample off your spares car please ?

Kind Regards,

Paul.

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Paul,
the offside looks to be in resonable condition, which you can have.
The nearside I will make a template on brown paper.. I will take some decent pictures

How urgent is this, as I only ask as I fancy going to coventry to the Lanchester Museum in the next couple of months.
If its urgent, I can sent it up in the next couple of weeks.

Let me know

Steve
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, do u have a Tank Unit to spare from your donor car, also looking for a Lucas Bi Flex centre from the Head Lamp unit ?

Cheers Al 😊😊
Last edited by JT7196 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, looks like I will need to do this on my 11, I'm still on the ass-end at the moment, although looking at the bottom of the ash front wing to windscreen length is maybe only rotten at the very bottom, and if some is soft than maybe I will take Alan's advice and use some wood hardener and I have still got the bodyshell clamped together as I replace (carefully) the roof and side pieces. let us know how your jobs go. Tony

Galdog

Post by Galdog »

Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for your kind offer it will be a big help to me there is no rush, i have removed what was there when I purchased the car.

By the way lanchester interactive is well worth a visit, I went last year during the motofest car event in Coventry, Chris Clark and a number of others club members had their lanchester cars parked outside.

Kind Regards

Paul

Galdog

Post by Galdog »

Hi Steve,
Did you decide when you were visiting the Lanchester interactive museum in coventry as I'm keen to get cracking with the A pillar during the winter ?

Kind Regards,

Paul

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Paul,
I am not going to get to Coventry this year.

OK here is the bobby...
I fitted the near side A frame yesterday, albeit not secured in place. If you need me to take it out and trace the shape on brown paper, I am willing to do that.

The offside is still in the garage, albeit I need to cut away some of the metal work that is still attached. I am tied up this week but can get it sort this weekend and post next Monday.

Please PM me you address and if you need me to do anything for the nearside A frame.

Sorry for the delay in responding, having trouble logging in.

Steve
It is a Lanchester