Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 Accelerator Pedal Stuck

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

DE36 Accelerator Pedal Stuck

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
The accelerator pedal on my DE won’t come back up and if depressed remains pedal to the Wilton.
I have cleaned away any possible old gummy rubber from the grommet, made sure the carpet isn’t fouling the pedal shaft and also oiled the connector points as per the owners manual.
I am wondering if there isn’t a return spring that may have fallen away and has created the problem.
Anyone know and can help?
Pictures would be most welcome.

Peter Grant

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: DE36 Accelerator Pedal Stuck

Post by Salmons »

There is a return spring in the Carburettor linkage.

Dennis

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I found on the DJ accelerator pedal that it is necessary to disconnect the linkage (small ball joint) at the top of the pedal to allow it to pivot fully back on its bottom hinge. This allows access to lubricate the pivot properly. It is prone to binding and my pedal broke at this point before replacement. Disconnecting it like this allows you to check that it isn't binding, and hopefully free it.

Mike

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi and thanks for the replies.
The return spring on the carburettor linkage is there and fine.
The pedal has free range of movement there and back with no sticking or sign of something causing a lack of return .
When I depress the pedal it just stays down.
All,linkages lubricated and free.
Is there a return spring somewhere along the linkage path to bring the pedal back up when pressure is eased on it?
That is what I am wondering because there is no sign of why it might be misbehaving otherwise.
If anyone has a DE handy I can email them privately and send photos of my set up to be able to compare.
Cheers
Peter G

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
Well I think the mystery is solved.
Firstly the linkages were dry and I lubricated them all and everything is free and the spring from the carburettor linkages is now working well to return everything to its correct position.
The problem is that the bush for the accelerator pedal,linkage has worn so when I press the pedal it just rotates on the rod connecting the pedal linkage bush to the carburettor linkages.
So the question is what to do.
There is no grub screw o tighten or replace, is it a shrink fit bush that needs to be professionally redone?
I suppose you’d call it the throttle control tube?
Any suggestions gratefully considered.
Drilling and tapping in a screw to secure the connection?
Cheers
Peter G

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
The saga continues.
I have been oiling the bracket , there are little oiling holes on each side and the carburettor linkages all work well. The pedal linkage still doesn’t operate the rod as it should to work the carburettor linkage but there is a little more movement.
I will tap in the ends ( they are a little proud) and I hope with the lubrication it will right itself with some use.
Pedal still quite “ dead”.
Peter G

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
The problem was that the bracket was fixed to the rod by a pin.
With the help of a very clever neighbour we removed the bracket and discovered that the pin had sheared completely at both ends, thus allowing the bracket to revoke on the rod. The old pin was tapped out, and a new pin inserted and ballpeeled over and the rod ends treated to some taps from a nail punch as appeared to have been originally done and after wrangling the bracket back into position and hooking up all the linkages I was able to start the car so all seems in order.
Amazing that such a tiny item could render a car the size of a DE immobile!
Cheers
Peter G