Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Brakes - Adjustment of

mickeytwonames

Brakes - Adjustment of

Post by mickeytwonames »

My Consort pulls slightly to the right when I brake - is there a foolproof way (I was born on 1st April) of adjusting them. All the adjusters, Front and Back are free to move.
Many thanks for any advice.
Michael

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Brakes - Adjustment of

Post by grahamemmett »

Slightly? Lucky you. Mine does a full scale swerve to the right.
I’ve always put it down to it being a ‘characteristic’ of the car but would really prefer it to stop in a straight line.
If you find out, let me know!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Starting with all the components you have, i.e. shoes, springs, cylinders and hoses, the only thing really is to jack up the front and , a wheel at a time,turn each adjuster up until the wheel locks solid.

Now turn that adjuster back until the wheel just has a slight "ruff-ruff" sort of sound as each shoe just catches. There might be very little if the linings have worn into the proper diameter but the aim is to get pretty much an equal amount of minimal contact between the lining and the drum when the brake is off across both front wheels.

Do the same with the back. Have an assistant help as you want to check that after the brakes have been applied, they have the same free movement as when you made the adjustment. Once all that is done, they should feel fairly square.

If they don't, hoses and cylinders start to be the likely culprits but that's maybe a future chapter !

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks for that. It is going up on the ramp today and I'll report back after my next trip to York on Thursday were it will be my Daughters Wedding Car. The Consort will now have done Three weddings and a Funeral.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Just adjusted brakes as per instruction - car stops in a straight line almost on a sixpence.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Excellent
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

mickeytwonames wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm almost on a sixpence.
You're showing your age there Mickey! :lol: :lol: