Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Inlet manifold removal

gc0700

SP Inlet manifold removal

Post by gc0700 »

I've removed everything attached to the inlet manifold and all the fixing bolts, but an unable budge the inlet manifold.
I've tried hitting the ends with a large block of wood and heavy hammer. Also tried using a hammer shaft to leaver the manifold up. But it's not moving and I'm wary about applying too much force for fear of breaking something.
The engine is out of the car and sitting on the garage floor.
Any ideas please?
Tim

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP Inlet manifold removal

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I installed my SP engine by lifting it with webbing slings around the inlet manifold, so it's capable of accepting significant load. If you have an engine crane or an overhead hoist, try lifting the engine with strops around the manifold until its just about to clear the floor and give the manifold a clout with a hide mallet - that might break it free.
P1200028-001.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Let gravity be your friend

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

I wouldn't be using gravity to break the seal on that inlet manifold. You could easily have the gasket separate and the whole engine landing sharply on the floor resulting in damage to the sump.

As the engine is out I would get two very narrow tapered and sharp chisels to tap between manifold and head . Get a friend and use both to attack each end of the manifold on one side and gradually prize it away from the head. Once you get one side to move the other will follow.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

fredeuce wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 am I wouldn't be using gravity to break the seal on that inlet manifold. You could easily have the gasket separate and the whole engine landing sharply on the floor resulting in damage to the sump.
Just to clarify Fred, I certainly wouldn't advocate lifting the engine clear of the floor - just take the weight of the engine on the manifold without it raising off the floor.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

At present, the hoist has gone back to its owner. I can borrow it back, but it's going to some weeks (at the rate these things go, probably months) before the engine can go back in. And I can't really hang on to it that length of time.
So to make the hoist logistics easier, I'll try first with the wedges option. And then if that fails, I'll borrow the hoist back.
Many thanks for your ideas on this.
Tim

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Tim,

Is it worth buying a second hand hoist for the jobs at hand and then sell it on afterwards, you can pick them up often and at decent prices.

In fact there is one for sale via eBay in the town of March - currently £43. Distance wise about an hour ??

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

The finely tapered screwdriver worked a treat, with no discernible damage to either surface.
Tim

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Well done Tim !