Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Panel lamp for the vacuum reserve tank lights up permanently

headlight37

Panel lamp for the vacuum reserve tank lights up permanently

Post by headlight37 »

Hello, everybody,

I am still somewhat inexperienced and start to explore the technique of my Daimler (E20 of 1937).
After a successful engine overhaul with decarbonization I noticed that the warning light for the vacuum reserve tank is permanently on.
In the manual you can only read that a vacuum loss is indicated and that the red lamp (above the steering column) should go out when driving.
The inspection of the lines did not reveal any indication (regarding damage caused by lifting the cart).

Is there a hint for me what to do?
The brakes work quite well, maybe not as perfect as before.

I remain with many greetings from Thuringia for every hint very gratefully,
Jörn

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Panel lamp for the vacuum reserve tank lights up permanently

Post by marchesmark »

Hi Jorn,

If you send me an email address I will send you the servo manual which might help. It will show you how to determine if the servo is working. If it is working, it might then be a switch or earthing problem.

Mark

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good morning Jorn,

A simple check would be to start the engine and run it for a few minutes to (hopefully) build up vacuum.

Then switch off - and press the brake pedal a few times. If all is correct, there should be a slight "hiss" and the pedal will progressively have less travel until it become hard, as you exhaust the vacuum in the reservoir.

This will help differentiate between the problem being a "no vacuum" situation and an electrical fault as Mark suggests.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Hello Jorn,

I have sent you the manual, unfortunately your email went into my spam folder so I only saw it today. If the engine starts and runs smoothly, and the brakes don't feel very different, I would think the servo is working properly (or at least working to some degree). The brakes feel very different without servo action - you would have a harder pedal, and need much more effort to stop the car. As an indication, the brakes on my ELS24 are better than my modern car - they need less effort, and can stop the car in an emergency in a very short distance.

Mark

headlight37

Post by headlight37 »

Many Thanks to Stan and Mark

for the tips, the analysis and the own experiences, which are very helpful to me for the evaluation of the situation.
Many thanks to Mark for the manual we can now work with. My brakes only work with powerful activation so far, they work evenly. In operation and strength they are not comparable to my everyday car, but they fit the characteristics of the other components of the Lt20.
Perhaps we will be able to use the tips and information provided to optimize functionality.
At the end of our efforts I will give a feedback on the progress and the result.
Thank you very much!
Jörn

headlight37

Post by headlight37 »

Finally, I would like to report briefly on the progress of our efforts.

The hose that brings the vacuum from the intake manifold to the vacuum cylinder was pure and leaking. Due to the wrong air, probably not all cylinders were on board and the central chassis lubrication had its problems. After installing a new hose, the Daimler does indeed brake Neil like a modern car, if not better!

Many thanks to all of you for your support, for the information and assistance that enabled me to better classify the facts in a differentiated and comparative way and to promote success.

Jörn

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Jorn,

Great news, keep us posted on progress with the car.

Mark