Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester Pistons.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Lanchester Pistons.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Among the various sets of Pistons I have are a box of 4 Hepolite 8827 2 1/2" plus 0.060" pistons with Lanchester written it. Unfortunately my Hepolite catalogue doesn't list them.
Does anyone know what car they are for?
Many thanks..

Simon Hyslop

Re: Lanchester Pistons.

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I've read through a Hepolite catalogue and been unable to find 8827 as a reference no. they used at all. However, two thoughts, neither of which may be on the right track.
First, the pistons for an E18 are ref T7827. This is a very close fit with 8827, if the reference is handwritten rather than printed. The downside is that 2 1/"2" they are not, but are 69.5mm but then your box is of 4, not 6.

Second, the only 2 1/2" Lanchester pistons are for the LD10 but they are supposed to stop at an oversize of +.040".

The 2003cc Daimler 15 was also 2 1/2" bore but again the number of pistons and the reference numbers don't tally. This all probably just confirms what you know already, I would think.

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

LA10 1936 1444cc engine, also fit the early daimler 15. I obtained a set of six +30 used four to fit my Lanchester.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Many thanks for the reply.
According to my book RS9178 pistons were used in 1933 Daimler 15’s and Lanchester 10’s with a bore of 2 1/2””
The mystery pistons have a printed reference number on the box but the portion with car model is missing.
Plus 60 is getting big but are usable if you want to avoid fitting liners.
I will keep looking for an answer.
Interestingly I have boxes of 4 pistons marked Daimler 15
They also fit Lanchester 10 or 11 cars but that information isn’t on the box. You need to get two boxes of four to make a set of 6 or ideally 3 boxes and make 2 sets of 6.
I wonder why you could get plus 20, 30, 40 and 60 but not 50’s

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

I will check to nos on the boxs that I have. A set of four and the two spare from the set of six. All 30+ cheers frenchy

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

The following are the nos on the boxed hepolite pistons I have .4 lanchester 8909 +30 . 6Daimler 37/38 16.2hp 2.6" +30. 8909.

Cheers Frenchy

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Mystery solved. Hepolite changed the part number. They are LD10.