Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

One week of ownership

GrahamH

One week of ownership

Post by GrahamH »

Hi all

So one week in and a few issues have come to light (nothing too serious though) I have a few queries that the knowledgeable member might be able to help me with?

I put 2.5 pints of oil into the flywheel and now it drives much better👍🏻 Just waiting to see if it all runs out again
I found out why I can’t turn the heater off - there isn’t a water valve, someone has taken it away😱 anyone know where I might source one from?
The master cylinder needs new rubbers, I’ve ordered a rubber kit to try first as a new cyl is £190 - is the Dillinger hard to remove?
I topped up the steering box and most of it has run out again, I’ve ordered a seal kit, can I change this ok with the steering box in the car (I also want to remove a shim or two and see if it helps the free play, which is excessive)
One of the gear lever joints is holding on by luck and gunk - I’ve ordered some new ones
The rear gearbox mounting resembles a jelly - again a new one is on its way here - a straight swap I hope?

Still very pleased with the car, it’s very original, not at all rusty and drives very straight 👍🏻

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Graham
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: One week of ownership

Post by classiclife »

Hello Graham,

What is the vehicle please, I cannot see a mention.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Opps sorry, 1951 DB18 Consort 😟

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Graham
The only real worry is the lack of fluid in the flywheel. If this falls low, the bearing overheats and wrecks itself and the seal. If the fluid disappears again then I’m afraid it’s gearbox out for a new fluid flywheel bearing and seal. By the sounds of it you’ve already found the man to supply and fix although there are engineering shops all over who could do the job if they knew how.
You can replace the mounting rubbers without much trouble.

The steering box is a simple device but unknown territory for me however I’m sure Peter Grant, a forum regular, is intimate with it an will respond. You’ll also find documentation on the unit from Marles who make parts for the steering box on DB18.org
Take lots of photos and do an article for the Driving Member.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Thanks Graham, any info is gratefully received, I don’t want to take on tasks and do it the hard way if someone knows better than me how to strip/repair the car

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Graham,
I am honoured that you thought I might be able to help!
What I have found very good is steering box lube. This is a sticky hunk that, with patience and a cheap squeeze sauce bottle, can be pushed into the steering box and being so sticky won’t leak out.
It is very important not to use grease in the steering box, as apparently this works it’s way up the column leaving the box without lubrication.
We have Pennrite steering box lube here but I am sure there will be an equivalent for you in UK.
Really good stuff.
Let me know how you go with the fluid flywheel. Mine leaks and needs topping up regularly. I have bought shares in the degreaser company!
Here’s
Peter Grant

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Penrite we have!
Peter, What happened about the new steering arm being manufactured by Marles?
Northwich, Cheshire

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Graham,
Sorry I was typing on my ipad at home and the screen is cracked: that should be "gunk" not "hunk"!
The steering arm from Marles duly arrived and has been fitted.
The new owner is also fitting a brake booster and in addition some gizmo from a BMW that assists the booster to even greater heights.
unfortunately when it was fitted the old car polarity was misunderstood and something fried in the component and a new one has been ordered.
Hopefully the modifications will be complete and then they can be tested in a comparison with my car and also I will encourage another new owner with a Special Sports fitted with excelsior tyres and better brakes than mine , perhaps as a "control" representing a car in good original specification and set up.
I'll report back, probably late October (as I will be away for a while mid September to mid October).
Cheers
Peter G

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Thanks Peter. There's an army of Special Sports owners keen to learn about the Marles modification. And saloon owners come to that!
Northwich, Cheshire

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

I think I’m going to need a new steering box 😱 I took the top and end off mine today but no shims to remove, so does anyone know where I might be able to source one , also are there any restoration garages in Somerset that come recommended?

Thanks

Graham