Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Interesting V8 Saloon - post edited

KV8

Interesting V8 Saloon - post edited

Post by KV8 »

Please see ebay item 264457742760
This car was obviously at a prototype stage when Jaguar took over. It is reminiscent of the Standard Vanguard Vignale and think I did read somewhere a few years ago that Daimler had explored a possible liason with Standard. However I did not realise this had gone as far as this leaflet indicates

Anyone with further details ?

This post has been edited as the pasted link to the ebay item would not work for some reason?

Regards

H

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Interesting V8 Saloon - post edited

Post by John-B »

see ebay item 264457742760 sales brochure £75
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (7.88 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
hideous :o

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The brochure appears to be for the Hooper bodied monstrosity on the SP250 chassis, unveiled at Earls Court in 1959....
Capture.JPG
I didn't realise it had actually reached a point where a sales brochure was produced. An interesting piece of history!
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

KV8 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 pm Please see ebay item 264457742760
This car was obviously at a prototype stage when Jaguar took over. It is reminiscent of the Standard Vanguard Vignale and think I did read somewhere a few years ago that Daimler had explored a possible liason with Standard. However I did not realise this had gone as far as this leaflet indicates

Anyone with further details ?
Regards
H
Interesting post H.
It is fairly odd looking and no surprise that no one wanted one.
I’ve never seen a picture of the interior of the car – does anyone have one that they can post?
Hooper seem to loose their mojo in the latter part of the 50s with the Daimler Empress being the last of their attractive cars. There was subsequent shape called 'Empress' used for Bentley and RR which seemed to sell quite well. It’s this one:
bentley-empress-.jpg
It’s somewhat redolent of the ‘Daimler Continental’ which was another one-off.
65.jpg
I must say I’m having some difficulty in likening the Hooper SP250 to the Standard Vignale. Is this the one you meant?
Standard%20Vanguard%20Vignale%20front.jpg
The body of the Hooper SP250 was made of glass fibre which was odd for Hooper who more normally would have used aluminium and I think is probably indicative of the lack of funds/confidence in the product. It’s quite shameful really that before the Jaguar takeover Daimler were not seeking out body designs elsewhere, particularly Italy which was producing lots of really attractive bodies. Imagine what they could have produced with that lovely 2 ½ litre engine (or even the 4 ½! which surely would have rivalled Ferrari and Maserati) Maybe like this 1959 Lancia which is a bit more handsome than Hooper's attempt!
9979736Zagato_Lancia_Flaminia_2500_Sport_1959_09.jpg

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

It does appear that the DP250 - as the Hooper bodied car was designated - was based very closely indeed on the SP250. This rear view of the car (that to my eyes does nothing to enhance the lines) permits a view through the windows that shows what seems to be an almost standard SP dash......
Capture3.JPG
The description of the car in the brochure shares a lot in common with that of the SP too....
Capture1.JPG
and the list of optional extras is almost the same as for the SP....
Capture2.JPG
Shame that none survive - critics of the SP's shape would really have a field day!
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Barrie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 am
It’s quite shameful really that before the Jaguar takeover Daimler were not seeking out body designs elsewhere, particularly Italy which was producing lots of really attractive bodies. Imagine what they could have produced with that lovely 2 ½ litre engine (or even the 4 ½! which surely would have rivalled Ferrari and Maserati) Maybe like this 1959 Lancia which is a bit more handsome than Hooper's attempt!
I rather thought that Daimler had approached Vauxhall with a view to using the body of the PB Cresta/Velox for a V8 saloon, but that in the end nothing came of it because Jaguar leapt in

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Christopher Storey wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:43 pm I rather thought that Daimler had approached Vauxhall with a view to using the body of the PB Cresta/Velox for a V8 saloon, but that in the end nothing came of it because Jaguar leapt in
Although never built by Daimler here's the heroic story of someone who did http://www.daimler-dn250.net/index.htm (you'll have to follow links to find the step-by-step photographic record)
and here's the finished product.
Daimler Vauxhal.jpg