Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

One week of ownership

clevitt

Re: One week of ownership

Post by clevitt »

Hi Graham,
Marles Steering Boxes can overhaul your steering box, although it will have to be removed from the vehicle and delivered to their Herefordshire premises. If it helps, I can send you the special crate that I had made so that my steering box could be couriered there. They have a website or phone 01568 760243.
Question for Peter Grant - please tell us more about the modified drop arm.
Chris

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

That’s good news Chris, was it expensive to overhaul? How mush do you want for the shipping crate?
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

It wasn't cheap Graham : £1900 + VAT for a complete rebuild. Unfortunately, he is the only person that I could find with the knowledge, tools and spare parts for the Marles box. Suggest a phone call and he might indicate a cost based upon the symptoms you describe. Removing the box was a bit long winded, but well within my own unskilled capabilities. I had to borrow a large puller to remove the drop arm , and I needed a second pair of hands to lift the box into the car's interior. I am assuming here that the Consort is as per the Special Sports and the box is extracted backwards into the body of the car.
You can have the crate for free, just email your address when you are ready.
Chris

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

The only shims fitted to these steering boxes are between the lower bearing retaining plate/gearbox housing, and (internally) between the rocker arm and the housing. Although a gasket is fitted between the top cover and the housing there Is no shimming, the rocker arm end float being set by the rocker arm shim and the top cover adjusting screw. There is a previously mentioned link to the Consort parts catalogue which explains all.
Steve

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

qantasqf1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 pm The only shims fitted to these steering boxes are between the lower bearing retaining plate/gearbox housing, and (internally) between the rocker arm and the housing. Although a gasket is fitted between the top cover and the housing there Is no shimming, the rocker arm end float being set by the rocker arm shim and the top cover adjusting screw. (There is a previously mentioned link to the Consort parts catalogue which explains all.) To summarise, the steering box may well be fixed simply by reshimming so rejecting it out of hand is, er, somewhat premature!
Steve

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Thanks Chris, I spoke to him today and yes it’s £1900 plus vat 😱 however it should steer well after that👍🏻
Unfortunately “Doris” the Daimler blotted her copybook today and broke down, just stopped and wouldn’t go again, got spark and fuel but no go, she’s going in tomorrow to be looked at, i’m So cross that I couldn’t get her going again, how hard can it be, I re did the points and timing, took the fuel pump off (there was a lot of silt in there) cleaned the float bowl out, good spark plenty of juice, just turns over and over, !@%%^** aarrgghh🤬

It’ll be something really silly which will make me even more cross😡

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I have a steering box, contact me through the website below.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

GrahamH wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:40 pm Thanks Chris, I spoke to him today and yes it’s £1900 plus vat 😱 however it should steer well after that👍🏻
Graham, you say “should steer well after that”, are you experiencing the car wandering and not running true?
There’s a number of things that significantly affect straight line running - the camber and especially toe-in. East to fix and for no cost. Search the forum as there was an excellent thread on this topic a few months ago.
My own steering was transformed by putting new bushes in the drop arm and linkages. Time consuming but you can do it yourself. The only professional help I needed was to press out the old bushes and insert the new ones.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Graham, glad to see you are enjoying your new car !!

I assume the heater valve is the one attached to the heater matrix (and connected to the dash via cables ) ?

If so, I don't think there is a direct replacement. However, as mine was missing, I speculatively purchased a V8 Saloon version from David Manners.

It has the same cast body etc, but there is an extra cable attachment point and the angle of draw is slightly different. That said, it was simple to cut and bend to shape.

If you go this route, don't forget to buy the rubber donut washer that sits between the valve and the spacer as its crushed over the pipe.

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Hi graham, I’ll go to the site and make contact, the slack is in the box, the car fun’s quite well it’s just when another car approaches and the road is narrow it’s very hard to place as there is so much slack you have to saw at the wheel and guess😱