Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

conquest wheel cylinders

ROSS70JEN

conquest wheel cylinders

Post by ROSS70JEN »

Hi a DJ252 conquest century 1955 chassis no 87786
I need to replace all 4 faulty wheel cylinders.
There seem that early century had 7/8 inch cylinders and later mk2 had 1 inch.
If so I assume 1 inch would be better if so are they the same foot print and will they fit.
Help please I want to order parts asap
Thanks

ROSS70JEN

Re: conquest wheel cylinders

Post by ROSS70JEN »

Hi all I have now found out the wheel size it is 1 inch for century.
I ordered a set of 4 from E-Bay for £119 item number 232453305656
Thanks all Bryan

ROSS70JEN

Post by ROSS70JEN »

I have now replaced my wheel cylinders but reverted to 7/8 inch size

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I'm not sure if Daimler increased the size of the front wheel cylinders from 0.875" to one inch - so perhaps someone can comment upon this and/or refer to whatever Girling catalogues etc. may be able to elucidate the question.

I raise this because the larger diameter cylinder will produce some 30% more pressure upon the brake shoes in relation to the foot-pressure applied to the brake pedal - which could cause serious loss of feel and unexpected front wheel wheel lock-up especially upon emergency application or application in the wet.

Remember a car takes longer to stop with locked wheels (hence ABS) which is why (early) designers ensued cars were not "over-braked".

So before you alter the specification of your brake components - check out what you are doing - otherwise your car may well end up gyrating like a fairy on a kiddies music box!

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hello Bryan,

I'm a bit late to this conversation.

I have a DJ252 (1954) - It is my understanding that the DJ252 is built to Century MK1 specifications and therefore would have the 11" wider brake drums with 1" slave cylinders. Don't be put off by the Conquest dashboard.

I'm not with my manuals and parts books, at the moment but will check them tonight (I hope). I think the parts book you need will be the Century one and not the Conquest one.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252