Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Just bought.......

Colc

Just bought.......

Post by Colc »

..a '58 Conquest Century, which has had some interesting "modifications", one of which is a Ford V6 engine and four speed box...............which works well. its also had had Scimitar front brakes fitted...which again work well. However, I don't feel that the Ford engine is really 'in keeping", and was wondering what would be the feasibility of fitting a Daimler 2.5 V8 engine and box, or does anyone have any other suggestions..this will be used, not just for pottering, but for some fairly long trips, and I'd like a power plant that can hold it's own on the motorway........

[ HDJ 560 ]
Attachments
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Just bought.......

Post by classiclife »

This is potentially a massive topic and you could receive a lot of input - not all of which will be encouraging !!

The fact that a superb car has been butchered is not going to go down that well.............. but in fairness you are the new owner and NOT the instigator of the Ford conversion.

Probably the first point to raise is it is likely that a lot of fabrication will have been done to fit the engine & g/box. Any subsequent retro engine refit will also encounter the same.

Dare I say seek the path to return the car to its original spec - any other engine including the V8 will not be in keeping. It's either original or it is not.

A V8-250 will hold its own BUT at the expense of a lot of fuel.

If you are considering an alternative swap then you need to decide if you want modern with fuel injection of slightly earlier with carb feed.

Modern can take the form of the superb Zetec engine............ 2Ltr is a decent beast but there is a lot of modern elec-trickery to go with it. The other issue is what g/box will you use ?? A 5-speed unit is the minimum spec requirement for such a conversion.

Something to think on.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Colc

Post by Colc »

I could really do with an auto...........I just wondered if anyone out there had fitted another power plant to one of these fine machines................

Colc

Post by Colc »

I intend to keep the rest of the car as original as possible, including repainting in the original colour [which I presume was silver over black] The conversion has been done really well, but the old Essex V6 is not exactly cutting edge now either.................

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I would think that fitting a Daimler V8 with auto box should be possible.
It would be worth looking to swap the Borg Warner box for a 4 speed with lock from a Volvo as this will be a big benefit on motorways.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

The body, steering and suspension were not designed or built to be combined with the performance of a V8. This was a classic sedate saloon and just repainting in original colour will make no difference to the changes that have been made.

Salmons

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

I think you've got a rather good opportunity here Colc: maybe the phrase 'It's only original once' applies. The originality has gone for ever and although the specification can be restored it won't be 'original'.
I have a Jensen CV-8 that I bought with non-original modifications and I have continued to upgrade it to PAS, modern gearbox, larger engine and brakes whilst still keeping the appearance of the original car. I have imagined that I am the keen original owner who will keep the car forever but installs discrete updates to keep the car current.
If you like this concept then a Daimler V8 seems entirely appropriate. As a Daimler precedent I recently saw advertised a Barker Special Sports with a factory fitted Century engine and 3 speed auto gearbox replacing the original DB18 engine and pre selector gearbox.
I would imagine that some extra room has already been created in the engine bay and transmission tunnel which will help and I hope you can get some guidance from someone who has previously carried out a conversion.
Whilst you're making up lists you may want to add electric power steering (Vauxhall Corsa and cheap) 4speed ZF auto box which will transform drivability, and replacing the Rexine in the interior which will make it more luxurious. What an opportunity!

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Fitting a V8 250 with auto box could work out expensive. The cooling system would have to be in tip top condition and the engine it’s self in reasonable order. If not overheating and related fuel and oil consumption would be a cause for concern. I can understand the authenticity aspect but if the unit already fitted is in good shape then I can’t see any benefits. The ford unit is much cheaper in the long run.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Sadly I have never driven a conquest, but in their day they could keep up with a 2.4 Jaguar and rally versions often out shone their class competitors.

I agree the Ford engine grates a bit but it is a sound unit and cheap to keep up.

In you position before I did anything else I would try to find someone with an original Conquest who would be willing to give me a ride if not a drive, and judge from that if an original drive train would suit my ideals. You could find that for not a lot of money you could achieve what you are after.

If that fails sell the conquest and buy a V8 250 manual and save yourself the work :D :D Syd

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

On the suggestion of a ZF box they are very bulky and may need the transmission tunnel knocking about. The Volvo box is much smaller and no bigger than the Borg Warner 35 used on the V8.
I know someone who fitted the Volvo unit to his car and has experienced a significant drop in engine revs at 70 mph. This has got to help the economy.
I would guess from what you say the cooling system already manages to supply a V8 and the brakes have been upgraded so you shouldn't have an issue there.
There is a Daimler DB18 Empress with a V8 which must be interesting to drive.
The Conquest Century was more suited to the power increase of the V8.
I know your car isn't original but it is a Daimler and the Daimler V8 would be a great improvement. There are a good number of original cars out there so a few modified ones is OK. It's better to be used than left to rot.