Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Door closer locator thread

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Door closer locator thread

Post by daimlersteve »

Men , whats the thread on these ? Now have the female and need to make the plugs for them . Damned fine thread there.
Steve

Feathers

Re: Door closer locator thread

Post by Feathers »

Hello Steve
3/16 - 32
John

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'd assumed you were referring to the thread joining these two parts....
snubber.jpg
I don't know the size or the threadform but I'd hazard a guess at a Whitworth instrument thread or possibly UNEF, although it seems finer than that.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Thats the one Nick.
Looks like 30 tpi with the Thread gauge internally. Will dismantle a full one to check out the male --- its easier to get a better look.-- nothing i can find that fine --even on the Machinist forums .
Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Ahh, just clicked on your link Nick , believe it or not -- i've never heard of whit fine . looks like the one !!! Cheers

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Just had one apart , its 28tpi 3/4"

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

It won't be Whitworth, that's a coarse thread, it can be BSF or BSP in Imperial or it's a UNF in Unified, BSP do have some weird tpi to diameter. Highly unlikely to be metric, I still think it origin is not the auto industry more industrial kitchen origin, i.e large fridge, freezer or oven doors.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Ian , to my surprise there is a BSW Fine ( never seen it myself , but then i dont move in exotic circles ) It is likely as you say to had another org. application. Probable pre war --- possibly timber Coach building. Brass is 26tpi , whit fine is 30 tpi and this particular thread is 28 tpi.
Steve

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Thanks Steve, you live and learn every day :D I did come across these units way back in the 70's but can't remember where but certainly not specific to the SP, perhaps there is a reference to them in the Driving Member around 71 -73, normally they are not a unit one loses.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Anyone --- Thread ?