Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Leather Refurbishment Info Please

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Leather Refurbishment Info Please

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, I have an owner who has just bough some replacement Seats for her Lanchester, these will need some work to get them back into a serviceable condition, which will include changing the colour.
Just interested in your views on what are generally considered to be the best products out there please ?

Cheers Al

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Leather Refurbishment Info Please

Post by classiclife »

Hello Al,

Gliptone leather care, for me.

https://www.liquidleather.co.uk/

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Many thanks Richard .

Cheers Al 😊😊

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Gliptone is a good all-rounder and leaves a very strong leather smell. I use it after using neat's foot oil to make the leather supple. It's made from cattle shins and feet and is a more natural (and I think effective) preparation than Gliptone or the other stalwart Connolly's Hide Food.
If you go the neat's foot route I make sure it has no additives which rather spoils the point of such a natural product.
After cleaning and drying the leather I apply the oil with bare hands and then cover the leather with clingfilm and leave for 24 hours so it has the best chance of soaking in.

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Hi again. I've just re-read the original question and see you have seat covers rather than covered seats to deal with.
This gives you the ideal opportunity to apply your chosen product to the inside of the leather where it will soak in more rapidly to the 'suede' side of the leather which is much more absorbent than the coloured facing side. Let us know how you get on.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Barrie, no they are complete Seats, but many thank's for the very useful info Barrie

Best wishes, Al :D :D

Dartford Dave

Post by Dartford Dave »

When I restored my car the leather seats were very battered, dry with some splits but looked just about salvegable. I bought the complete kit from Furniture Clinic. The kit had a feed compound and cleaner, repair kit, colour dye and clear top coat which is gloss or matt or any mix between.

They have videos on YouTube which show the procedure. You can send them a small sample from under the seat and they will colour match for you. I also done the door cards.

Will attempt to add a couple of pictures. I took the gloss finish down a bit to a more satin finish after I took the pictures which definitely looks better then the gloss finish. Four years on they still look good .
IMAG1435.jpg
IMAG1437.jpg
IMAG1463.jpg
IMAG1561.jpg

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, certainly look’s very good.

Cheers Al😀

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I did the complete interior of my Corniche with the Furniture Clinic products. It took over 6 months to do it properly - removing each item and stripping it down (as an indication, each front seat has 13 separate leather pieces to be dismantled, stripped, and recoloured, not counting the screws etc for rebuilding it all). I did the piping with a fine artists brush. It is not for the fainthearted - if changing the colour even slightly, you need huuge quantities of cellulose thinners to get the old stuff off, and thinners is nasty stuff itself. But the end result is probably worth it. I have also used Gliptone water based kits - much easier to use, but I've only done so on small areas, not a whole interior. I don't have any 'before' pics but the seats were in poor condition, very worn and partially recoloured by someone who did not know what they were doing.
Attachments
ebay011.jpg
ebay009.jpg