Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Front Number plate

gc0700

SP Front Number plate

Post by gc0700 »

When I bought my car, somebody had fitted the front number plate directly to the front of the bumper with a pair of self tapping screws.
I've just got my chrome work back from being re-chromed - I had him fill in the 2 offending self tapper holes.
But now am not sure how the number plate should be attached.

In anticipation of the return of the chrome work, I had ordered a A spec front number plate holder, which seems to be designed to attached to the body with 4 bolts, below the bumper. Which should still work.

But I had completely forgotten that the bumper has 2 holes on the lower edge. These are about 7/16" with 10" centers. Are these likely to be for the B/C spec front number plate mount?

Many thanks
Tim

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP Front Number plate

Post by Ian Slade »

They are for the number plate mounting plate, 2 strips of steel bolt on and are spot welded to a steel plate, the number plate is attached to the plate. Should you fabricate one ensure you leave enough room to enable the bumper to be cleaned, very easy to get a rusty bumper and use a plastic spacer between the bumper and mounting strips for the same reason.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the info, presumably that is for the later (B/C spec) number plates?
Tim

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

gc0700 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:22 pm Hi Ian,
Many thanks for the info, presumably that is for the later (B/C spec) number plates?
Front bumpers were not unique to 'B/C' spec. cars; they were an option on 'A' spec cars too. Any car fitted with a front bumper would utilise the two holes you have found to attach the number plate in the manner Ian describes.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

NeilB

Post by NeilB »

Hi Tim,

Barry Thorne can supply a number plate holder. The one I bought from Barry is quite robust.

Regards

Neil

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info and I've already got one on order with Barry.
Tim