Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Introducing myself

djl
Location: Bucureşti (Bucharest), capital of România (Romania)

Re: Introducing myself

Post by djl »

On flat land I've seen on some manuals that you had to press the acceleration a little bit when changing down on flat road.
Probably the models that had sleeve valve engines where the last "Daimler" 's to have that kind of throttle lever.
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

We are way off subject here but never the less, it has to be said the three pedal arrangement on modern cars was established for very good reason many years ago. There will be a lot of work and cost converting an old car with the current three pedal arrangement to the central throttle system.

I Have driven several cars with the central accelerator arrangement you would wish to have, they have to be driven with great care, the temptation to hit the wrong pedal is great and there is a lot of moving about of the right foot.

That having been said, each to his own, if you like it go for it, but it will be a lot of work to get it working safely, especially the brake pedal. You will achieve a car that you want but one that is more difficult to drive, has none standard pedals and will need to be be converted back if you ever want to sell it.

In my opinion save your money time and effort, use it for something that will add value and enjoyment to the car, don't waste it on something that will make your car more difficult to drive and odd. Syd

djl

Post by djl »

What cars you driven with that specification and had preselector gearbox?
If I will not alter the pedal position, it will take me some time to get used to the ideea that the brake pedal isn't the right one and probably I will use the left foot for braking. But having the kind of arrangament that I want haves one advantage: if some one wants a joy ride with you car, that person might not be able to run away wiht it.
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Personally, I only intend to recommission this car - not modify it to something else.

I have other cars I use for that.

I'm keeping it "as-is" - just getting it back to a safe usable condition and replacing anything that needs rebuilding or updating
for sensible purposes - like LED upgrades for backlights etc.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Alex, I am breaking a car at present so let me know if you need parts.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

djl

Post by djl »

alex_gray255 , do you inted to use the car for riding it from time to time or you will take it to the parades too?

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

grahamemmett wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm Alex, I am breaking a car at present so let me know if you need parts.
Will do! :D

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

djl wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:20 pm alex_gray255 , do you inted to use the car for riding it from time to time or you will take it to the parades too?
Bit of both - personal use when the mood takes me, possible car shows, possible occasional tinkering :D

djl

Post by djl »

If one day I will have an old classic car I will take people into it for riding. In order them to apreciate old cars and not consider them junk and to see how intresting preselector gearbox is.
I wish you the best with your car! :D

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Sorry, posted comment on wrong thread *doh*

Finally started to look through some of the old paperwork with the car and documentation. Interesting to read...