Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 saloon headlining replacement

MVV

Re: V8 saloon headlining replacement

Post by MVV »

Hi Lads
Just new to the forum and my first post. I am about to replace the headlining on my 250 V8 . I was not the one who removed the old headlining/wood etc so I would love to have a chat with any of you guys who have done this already, before I attempting it myself . I have already cleaned and rust treated the roof area with Dinitrol RC900, installed butyl foil backed sound deadening and 3mm closed cell foam . Please let me know if anyone would have a chat on the phone to help get me started. Please private message me if you can help.
Regards
Kieran
Cork.Ireland

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi Kieran, I did get your message thru the notifications, but I have an issue with responding thru that system so might be an IE issue my end? I need both my phones active all the time( landline and mobile) so I rarely ring from them as I have to have them open to receive updated info as I'm a carer at present and on call 24 hrs a day but if I can help thru here I will as on this post if you look at the earlier posts from me about the headlining issue. ask away as then all can benefit from the advice. all the best Tony

MVV

Post by MVV »

Hi Tony
Will do. Thank you for your reply. I will ask for advice as I reinstall each part but please bare with me as unfortunately I was not the one who took out the old headlining/wood surround out so dont know how and in what order to refit the individual items. Lets start with the main center large section. Should I get a second person to assist and begin by glueing the fabric from the middle first ,then working my way out to the sides wearing gloves and brushing with a wall paper type brush.
Regards
Kieran

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi this is post I made earlier and that is how I did it on my car, it might help you decide which way you want to do it? Hi. I did mine about 15 years ago, using a foam sheet supplied by woollies, either high density foam white colour or heavier solid foam sheet but that is heavier, or something like millboard but that is quite heavy as well, I went with the higher density foam version, I used vinyl roof type glue to secure the foam pad on the underside of the roof, but have lots of ventilation and wear a mask, or you can cut the pad to size outside and using spray adhesive (4 cans approx) for the headlining material and stick that on the foam pad first and then transfer the pad to the car, I went with the harder way as I was scared of getting the vinyl roof glue onto the headlining material, so I got the foam pad on first and left it a day or two to dry, avoid gluing in hot conditions, then use the spray adhesive and put the material on using pins or tacks to hold it in the corners and line it up first and then start gluing and put loads on, I went overkill on the number of cans and I started the gluing at the rear and moved to the front as I went, but I don't think it matters just take your time and I wore a woollen glove to press the headling up bit by bit but I also used a foam roller as well, my headlining it still up there and no sags or dropping. just take it easy. this is the way I did mine but other folks may have another method. can't remember were the pics are I had of doing the job. all the best Tony