Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Registration number archives

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Registration number archives

Post by Db n j »

Guys, many thanks for the replies.

I am looking for reg OUA 3??.

(I want to try to match our cars chassis number to a registration number - or prove that it is not a match. )

The registration is partially visible on Daimler’s publicity photos.

My info is sketchy, but it is possible that our car was the demonstrater.

Appleyards were a main agent, and also had very large workshop facilities. I believe they offered this service to Daimler.

Interestingly the 2 other known cars both were purchased as drop heads and later had roofs added, ( david beales, and another which probably ended up in Germany reverted to a drop head.)

There is a possible fourth car, but no history, and very unlikely to survive.

Fingers crossed !

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

David that would appear to be appear to be a few years later then you said its in the 50's

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/ua.htm

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

WHICH NOW SHOW'S A FORD 1984 and not on road since 1989, wonder what has happened to that .

Or am i reading it wrong should it have 3 numbers, OUA301

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/V ... ?locale=en

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

OUA 7 comes up 1950 JAG
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/V ... ?locale=en
others up to that are transfers so only a few to search well 90 plus depends how many digits
Last edited by Norfolk Lad on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Db n j wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 pm Guys, many thanks for the replies.

I am looking for reg OUA 3??.
OUA 3?? would have been originally issued in 1951. Probably around March - May timeframe.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

When i copied and paste the link it shows for a while then goes back to DVLA car check ???

Just to confirm OUA 7 is a jag reg December 1950

Which fits with what is on the oldclassiccar.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks Guys.

I was basing the possible registration date on the fact that the car has body 023 - which would have been made early in the production run
(but not necessarily registered)

The Special Sports prototype JVC192 appeared at the Motor Show in 1948 - hence the target of 1949.

I have been told that the Appleyards demonstrater carried a Leeds registration number, and the publicity photo of the FHC shows a partial
plate OUA3, which lead me to search for cars registered OUA3 to OUA399 - there is unlikely to be more than 1 car in this series.

If the series is March 1951, then the question is whether the car was registered very late, or was re-registered. Anyway, records would show
if this is our car.

btw according to David Beales, Applyards advertised the conversion in the June 1952 Auto Car, and showed the car at the Motor Show in the same year.

The other 2 know cars (David Beales, and a car that ended up in Germany (re)converted to a drop-head where owners cars taken to Appleyards for
conversion (ie not sold a FHC from new )

There is only potentially one other car, seen by David Beales in a Yorkshire shed in the late 1970's - in parlous condition (and not seen since)

I will take a punt with JDHT to see if anything interesting comes back about its original start date, and Leeds Archive to see if I can tie the car to
the OUA3 registration number.

That leaves its Essex registration - 952YWC, which I have been told is from 1964.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

That would make the Essex registration issued a year after the *** ***A registrations came out ? Does someone know if this is the case, as they only started using WC in 1962 and you would have thought they would have started at AWC so it would be interesting to know more precisely what the story behind a YWC issue is. I would rather not speculate without facts but it is an interesting little conundrum.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I think only London and Cornwall issued A suffix registrations as standard. It was not compulsory to use the suffix system until 1st January 1965 i.e. C suffix. Prior to that authorities could use up existing allocations and introduce A or B suffix series as they needed.
WC is a Sheffield series, not Essex. The two letter combination WC 1 to WC 9999 was never issued. Neither was AWC.
952 YWC is a reverse number series (numbers preceding letters) issued from November 1963. They also had XWC going at the same time and possibly also still issuing RWC, SWC, TWC and VWC numbers all of which were issued from October 1963 onwards.
Sheffield did not issue any A suffix in the WC series and only started with the B suffix in Feb 1964 with BWC, presumably as the various reverse number series from RWC to YWC had all been allocated.
952 being a very late number in the series was probably issued either very late January or more likely in February 1964.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

YES Sheffield not Essex and records are held here
Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield S1 4SP (0114 273 4756)
Registers 1903-05 (W 1 – W 413) and 1931-77 (WJ to DWA 729N)

more needles in the haystack
Peter