Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Float chamber tickler

Crossley Stephenson

Float chamber tickler

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

My Special Sports has tickle pins on the float chambers - why? Others car with SU carbies don't have the ticklers.

I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't know what it is.

Cheers & HNY,
Michael

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Float chamber tickler

Post by Christopher Storey »

They were a relic of pre WW2 days when for a cold start it was advisable to flood the carb first by pressing the float down with the tickle pin ( and often to crank the engine over by hand ) . I think they died out because with the widespread adoption of 12v electrics , cold starting became more reliable

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Tickler(s) were used to flood the carburettor(s) when the fuel level in the float chambers was low or empty which was generally first thing in the morning, or at any rate after the engine hadn’t been started for a few days. The tickler was pressed down while at the same time the manual lever on the AC lift pump was operated until flooding occurs. The reason for this procedure is that it relieves the starter motor of cranking the engine for a lengthy period using the lift pump to fill the float chamber and flattening the battery. I can tell you from personal experience that using the tickler and lift pump together works well! There’s no doubt starter motor life is increased significantly this way and flat batteries are a pain in the botty!
However, if an electric pump is used the tickler isn’t necessary because the pump will do the job for you once the ignition is switched on as long as you wait about 10 seconds or so before pressing the starter button.
Steve

Crossley Stephenson

Good tip Steve. The last couple of times I have started the SS I have held the tickler down on each carb in turn while using the primer lever on the pump. Then starts first kick.

Cheers
Michael

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

There you go, I've learned something.

I had always just primed using the pump lever (on the DE: the Special Sports has an electronic fuel pump).

Now I know that a tickle and a pump administered simultaneously will give better results!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crossley Stephenson

Saucy😳