Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Century cylinder head corrosion (waterway inserts)

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Conquest Century cylinder head corrosion (waterway inserts)

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

Following my request for help with the aluminium waterway inserts in a Conquest Cylinder head, (no responses unfortunately), I have another question for corrosion experts.

The original inserts, which have virtually all corroded away, were aluminium in the ally Century head. In the cast iron Conquest head, these inserts are brass (or bronze). I do have a set of these brass inserts which I think would fit the ally head, see photos.

Question: would fitting these brass inserts into the ally head be a no-no from a corrosion point of view or from differential expansion (heat)? I would be prepared to use a coolant with higher corrosion inhibiting properties than standard anti-freeze.

Hoping someone can advise me.....
Head inserts 1.JPG
Head inserts 2.JPG
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Conquest Century cylinder head corrosion (waterway inserts)

Post by Sydsmith »

Henry, I am no expert on this subject but if you Google the subject it says as follows :-

There are three conditions that must exist for galvanic corrosion to occur. First there must be two electrochemically dissimilar metals present. Second, there must be an electrically conductive path between the two metals. And third, there must be a conductive path for the metal ions to move from the more anodic metal to the more cathodic metal. If any one of these three conditions does not exist, galvanic corrosion will not occur.

That said, as I understand it Bronze and Aluminium are about as bad as it gets if you mix them.

But as I say I am no expert. Syd

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Thanks Syd,

Useful summary of corrosion opportunity.

Conclusion is worrying! :(
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Aluminium and bronze were used together on pre war Daimler / Lanchester water pumps. Many of which are reaching the end of their lives due to corrosion.
It could be argued that modern antifreeze is far better at reducing corrosion than the antifreeze if used in the 20’s and 30’s
I would be tempted however to get the brass/ bronze inserts you have copied in aluminium for the head.
I could make you some if that helps.