Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 Rev Counter

Beat Weibel

SP 250 Rev Counter

Post by Beat Weibel »

Dear SP250 friends

I am urgently looking for a mechnical SP250 rev counter. My car unfortunately has the eletric version of the V8 saloon fitted.

If somebody has one for sale, I would be very grateful for it.

As alternative, I thought about using a Conquest rev counter and exchanging the dial. Has anybody experience with that? Looking at the dials, I understand the whole for the indicator lights are different but at least both are mechanical.

Best regards
Beat
(chassis No. 100164)

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP 250 Rev Counter

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Since your car has the saloon rev counter fitted, does it also have a saloon distributor? If it does, a mechanical drive rev counter is not going to solve your problem.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

I know. I therefore would also exchange the distributor or at least swap the tachometer drive from the electrical one of the saloon to the mechanical one of the SP250. These parts I have readily available. I also have an original mechanical rev counter which unfortuntely seems to be beyond repair.
BR
Beat

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hi Beat,

I don't know whether they're still in business, but when I put a saloon V8 into my friend's Swallow Doretti I converted the Triumph cable-operated tacho to electronic using a kit from these people in Italy:
https://urevco.com/
The contact was Marco Testa on
<marco.testa@mt-emb.com>
and the conversion was easy - if they still exist, you could convert your u/s cable tacho.

Hope it might help,
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Beat, Mechanical rev counter with a matching distributor for an SP250 will not be easy to find, quite a few SP's have been fitted with saloon engines so there is a demand against which any original SP that comes up for sale no matter how bad is unlikely to be broken up, most barn finds are very likely to have damaged instruments, so few have come on the market in recent years.

Best of luck in your search. Syd

Zbigmak

Post by Zbigmak »

Beat
Trying to find a mechanical SP250 distributor is really not an easy task.
You will need a lot of patience and time. It took me 6 months to find a replacement for my damaged unit.
Wishing you lots of luck
G

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

the distributors are all the same except for the drive and centrifugal weights. I can change that for you or you can try The Distributor Doctor here in England

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
I think I have a spare - I will look & get back to you.

Cameron

Richard Vester

Post by Richard Vester »

You can contact Ab Hennekes in the Netherlands

ab.hennekes@hotmail.com
+31 6 53213628

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Hi guys,

The mechanical rev counter of one of the Dart currently in stock is out of order. David Manners Ltd asks me a 6 to 8 weeks delay to repair/exchange it.

Any faster way ?

Thanks