Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Door Furflex seal cap

gc0700

SP Door Furflex seal cap

Post by gc0700 »

Hi,

I've recently fitted new Sealing rubbers and Draught/Furflex rubbers to the doors on my A spec. The old Furflex seals had aluminium caps, but they are decidedly tatty (see photo). I've checked with Barry Thorn and he has the caps for the later spec cars, but nothing for the earlier ones.
Does anybody know where I might get something to fit and cap the cut end of the Furflex seal?

Many thanks
Attachments
FurflexCaps.jpg
Tim

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP Door Furflex seal cap

Post by Fossil »

Tim

If you can find a piece of leather to match your upholstery, or cut a small piece from under one of the seats, you can make up small leather end caps of similar shape and stick them over the cut end of the furflex.

Regards

Fossil

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

The car is going to the trimmers shortly, so using an off-cut to make a cap should be easy to implement.

Many thanks
Tim

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

On my car, a C type, the edge that the Furflex is fitted to ends with a right angle at both the A and B post ends. The Furflex has to be manipulated around with poor results so I trimmed the fibreglass into a smooth curve doing away with the right angle and the Furflex fits neatly around it avoiding the need for an end cap. If you would like me to take a photo please let me know.
Incidentally the original Furlex type stuff fitted to the car had a rubber flap seal which is unfortunately no longer available - well I couldn't find any. If you buy some with the rubber tube type seal the door will not close so it has to be plain without a seal, unless others have got round that problem some other way.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

As I understand it, the B posts are a different shape between the A and B/C spec cars. And caps for the Furflex are available for the latter.

I found the tube type of Furflex as supplied by Barry Thorn, worked OK. Although the door does need to shut firmly.
Tim

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

As far as I know - although I stand to be corrected - there was originally no finisher for the trim at the top of the 'B' post on the later B & C spec cars. That said, when I bought my own 'C' spec car in 1972, had folded chromed brass ferrules covering the trim. These I presumed had been fabricated and fitted by a previous owner.

Bryan Purves sells chromed trims for the later cars.....
Capture1.JPG
... but some buyers I believe have found them difficult to fit neatly.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

That's what I have always thought Nick, my C spec which is highly original the furlex was cut at the rubber and the cloth covered the end of the rubber and screwed to the B pilar under the leather cloth trim
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.