Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

sticky - Photo POSTING INSTRUCTIONS & 3MB size limit

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
John-B
Site Admin

sticky - Photo POSTING INSTRUCTIONS & 3MB size limit

Post by John-B »

COPYRIGHT If you copy an image or photo from another place, remember that the copyright probably remains with the original owner, (except for sites like Wikimedia Commons). I notice that members are copying photos from eBay and I've looked at eBay's policies regarding copyright. One policy says "As part of our mission, we are committed to help protecting the intellectual property rights of rights owners and to providing our users with a safe and enjoyable place to trade."

There is also another policy which says "If you copy someone else's text or original photograph or other content, or copy text or photographs or other content from any other place - depending upon how much is copied - you may be infringing someone's copyright."

Although eBay's policies were written with the advertiser in mind, both the above policies apply equally here in that an eBay seller or any other copyright owner may object to his photo being used here. If we receive a request to remove a photo, we will have to do that and hope that there is no further complaint. Please check the copyright situation before posting an image, text or photo on this forum.

To show a photo or image in a post or reply, open a New Topic or new post window, click Attachments below left of the post window (for a reply click Post Reply or Full Editor and Preview, not Quick Reply), then click Add files which will open your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename in the original post page, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. You can Add files several times, max 4 per post. (There is also a quicker option by dragging a highlighted file into the message box but it still seems to end up in the list below waiting for you to click Place inline.) Then Submit the post. You don't need to use [ URL] [ /URL] or [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags, no space after [ .

This method relates to Windows computers, but the words may be different on Apple computers, iPads or iPhones.

If the upload shows a message that the image is too large, it may be the file size in KiB (max 2 MB or 2000 KiB at 01/09/2020).
Size in px is unlimited but 800 x 600 px is quite sufficient for a website (obviously a huge size in px will have a very large file size in KiB). Most computers have image software that can resize images and save with a .jpg or a .jpeg extension. Windows computers have "Paint" (search for mspaint.exe or paint.exe or Paint if you can't find the program).

Avatar in your Profile The maximum size is shown on the page where you upload your image.

A Signature image (maximum 200 x 150 px at 24/02/2016) has to be a website URL from a site like photobucket or Flickr with [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags, no space after [ , while attachments in the post and avatars can be uploaded from your computer.

The Lightbox add-on allows photos to be enlarged. The width of the photo is currently set as a maximum 400px wide for initial display. If the uploaded photo is wider than this you can click on the 400px wide image and it will be shown as an overlay to a larger size. If you put the mouse at the sides you will see a popup arrows so that you can scroll all photos on the page inside the Lightbox.

However, photos smaller than 400px wide will not be shown in the Lightbox but displayed as they are. Also, when using the Attachment tags, a photo that is wider than 400px and also has a height greater than its width will also be excluded from the Lightbox but displayed individually as a larger image in a separate page. If photos are coded inside [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags with a URL from another website like Flickr or photobucket a photo with a greater height than its width will be included in the Lightbox.

It seems complicated and I think the Lightbox has not been fully developed yet.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: sticky - Photo POSTING INSTRUCTIONS & 3MB size limit

Post by watkindj »

ok no further assistance with listings from me or postings of any pictures !!
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I think advertisers would probably be grateful for the free advertising we give them and Darren gives us very useful advanced information on vehicles coming up for sale. I know we live in a very litigious PC society but I would say we can take personal responsibility for our own actions, print and be damned! Old school cars, old school values and let the offended be offended
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Andrew,

I did reply to the part where it refers to copyright, but this post was deleted.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

..................but i'm going to re - post it and see if it gets deleted this time....................

Under the "fair use" rule of copyright law, an author (in our case a forum
poster) may make limited use of another author's work without asking
permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public (in our case
the other forum members) is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted
materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege
is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive
rights.

By copying from, say and EBay listing we have complied with all the four
points of Fair Use, ie,

The purpose of copying is for criticism or review.
The material is available to the public (in our case Forum Members)
The use of the material is fair.
Use is accompanied by an acknowledgement (eg , by quoting an EBay/Classic
Cars for sale reference covers this)

I our case the fair use amounts to (but is not limited to) commenting on
the asking price, condition, location and provenance and to provide
product information for potential buyers who may not be familiar with the
particular model.

I think, John, you have not been as tactful as you could have been, or
legally correct on this matter and have successfully driven away a valued
and knowledgeable forum member.

Normal for Norfolk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Neil - That's odd. I didn't delete your post, I've never seen it and it doesn't appear in the moderator log as deleted. I wouldn't have deleted your post as it's informative.

I was aware of the "Fair Use" rule and the need to link to the original document, but some photographers can get very upset if their photos are copied and photos will remain on our forum long after the eBay ad has been withdrawn. A post was added that members should be careful as any complaint is received by the forum first.

None of the photos have been deleted.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

theoldman wrote:Andrew,

I did reply to the part where it refers to copyright, but this post was deleted.

Neil
Neil did you reply when the post was under "cars for sale"? I did originally and mine disappeared as well. Could have been something to do with the post's change of location?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Definitely odd. Andrew, the only post I've seen from you is still there in this topic and I never deleted any of Neil's posts. The moderator log only shows two deleted posts, one of mine and one of Darren's from the BSA cars for sale as the posts are repeated in this topic.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

John I wasn't suggesting it was deleted but just wondered whether it got lost in the ether as it was about the time it was moved here?
Andy

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

The main thing is that you do not make commercial gain from another persons work.
If the originator feels his work has been used in this way he can make a claim against
an individual or company! The advertiser is not necessarily the copyright holder, if the
image is by a professional there will be details embedded in the file which is located
in "photoshop file info" the industry standard for photographers and publishers.

Ron