Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What to do with "stuff"

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

What to do with "stuff"

Post by New Dexter »

I am sure that there are some on this forum who have retained or acquired some odd parts. Some Daimler, some Lanchester and some "other" but what to with it after the cars from which the "stuff" came have passed on.
Trying, with varying degrees of success, to rationalise my storage space I came across a lot of wood trim for two models, chrome trim for the same, new air filter elements and other parts for another model and yet what does one do with all this "stuff"? If someone is restoring a model of the Daimler marque and the wood trim is rotted to the point where it's not worth considering re-making it then replacements, if available, would be very useful. However, where to advertise it.
Upholstery is another subject. I have nice leather seating for two cars, complete with decent door cards even if the plywood is rotted the leather is fine. However, the cars were limited in their original production and who would want the upholstery? Do I throw it away?
Where to advertise it. Place it on eBay, when they have one of their £1 final selling fee promotions and I have found that, despite signing in for the offer, at the bottom of the page it states "you will be charged a final value fee". Something which contradicts the offer unless and one has to make all kinds of allowances for eBay, they detect that the item(s) have been listed before without being sold.
There is a classic car website which was quite useful but they have decided that they won't list car parts any longer, just complete cars which is something of an irritation

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: What to do with "stuff"

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

You could put them on this forum parts for sale section.
I have used the eBay £1 offer repeatedly on some items. The final fee has always been the £1 offer price apart from if you list it as multiples. By that I mean on one occasion I listed some radiator caps. I had 2 for sale and was charged the 10% rate. They very kindly reduced the fee when I contacted them as a good will gesture.
There is always the Driving Member which is free advertising for members.
As you say the parts you have will be of use to someone.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Over the last year or so I have been doing a de-cluttering exercise in the shed and the loft. Things that have become surplus to requirements over the years, car parts, household items, all sorts.

So far I have thrown next to nothing away.

Car parts and hardware have gone to people who wanted them. Not always for much money but at least they went somewhere where they would be used.
Some went on e-bay, some donated to a charity that re-cycles tools to Africa and some to a preserved railway in Essex.
You have to put a bit of effort in but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that it hasn't gone to landfill and I have some money that I didn't have before.
A lot depends what you want. Do you want to make money or have the bits used and not wasted.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The Model Registrar could e-mail members on his register to see if anybody would take the parts.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

I tried a similar exercise last year, trying to make room to swing next doors cat !

First, be realistic about likely sale potential - lots of stuff just won’t sell.

Next offer it to dloc friends and forum. None daimler stuff can go on eBay.

The result was that lots of stuff ends up in the tip. General stuff will eventually go on eBay.

After a wait I junked some good parts I couldn’t give away, only to have 2 urgent requests for the parts a week later.

All is not lost, as I now have half of a garage belonging to my lovely wife’s friend, so at least I can exercise myself with next doors cats, without fear of damaging the paintwork!

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Anyone got any parts for a Daimler consort - I'd be interested - as long it's NOT a 'torsional damper'
I am after
Exhaust bits (silencer boxes - mine is a jury-rig)
Heater pipes - metal
Front seat back upholstery (brown)
+ anything else considered

DW1900

Post by DW1900 »

Hi Micky I think I have two front seats in the garage, which are in good condition.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

DW1900 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:56 pm Hi Micky I think I have two front seats in the garage, which are in good condition.
Have you the seat runners as a member is searching for some?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

DW1900

Post by DW1900 »

Hi Graham, I can look when I return home, but it will be in a few weeks.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Front seat - I'd love to come and have a look.