Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 oil pressure sender

steve thomas

V8 250 oil pressure sender

Post by steve thomas »

Good afternoon,
My V8 250 is suffering from low oil pressure when hot and idling. I thought it would be worthwhile changing the sender unit as I have read they are prone to under reading and I have a new spare that came with the car. My question is how to remove the old sender as there is very little room to get a spanner on it? Is it necessary to remove the lower radiator hose, or work from under the car? Alternatively, is it better to remove the adaptor that screws into the cylinder block?
Thanks for any guidance,
Steve

Tennant

Re: V8 250 oil pressure sender

Post by Tennant »

Hello Steve,
A 1/2" socket on a small wrench will remove the nut holding the pressure sensor mounting. The mounting and sensor will then slip off the bar on the engine. Put the mounting in a vice and remove the sensor.
Note that the mounting has a tapered hole and the large hole is on the engine side. You may need 2 new copper washers to replace the mounting.
A 5 minute job to remove and replace.

Best regards

Barry Tennant

steve thomas

Post by steve thomas »

Hello Barry,
Thank you for your reply - very helpful. The job is done and i am now getting 45 psi cold tickover, falling to 25 psi at normal running temperature, and over 40 psi hot at 2000rpm. Obviously I don’t know if the new sender is accurate, but I’m happy to believe it is!!
Many Thanks
Steve

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Thanks Barry, Vey useful for me too. Last weekend I spent 4 hours trying to remove the oil pressure sender unit, but just couldn't get enough purchase on sender due to the tight space. This afternoon after reading your reply I tried what you suggested and removed the 1/2" nut from the end of the mounting (top left in my picture) and within 5 minutes I had the sensor & mounting off the car. After a few more minutes and with the use of a vice the sender came off its mounting but it was pretty tight. Now all I need to do is investigate my true oil pressure readings with a test gauge.

Many Thanks
Paul
Attachments
2020-05-02 12.44.57.jpg

ttajf

Post by ttajf »

Hello all,thanks for the information here,
where do i get an oil pressure sender unit of the correct type?
Tony
Kind regards
Tony Fardoe
Chairman DLOC.

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

I got mine from SNG Barratt.
Barry