Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Oil level in fluid flywheel.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Oil level in fluid flywheel.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I suppose the only way to over fill the fluid flywheel is to do it while parked facing down a steep hill.
It was much better to ask the question than not. You won't loose any sleep now you know the answer.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Frank,
To fill the fluid flywheel on my cars I use a small plastic watering can with a long spout as a reservoir, and pour straight 30 grade oil into that.
After removing the filler plug (and please be careful as I understand that if it drops between the flywheel and the gearbox it is an engine out task) I use a long skinny funnel i bought cheaply at an auto parts shop, the funnel section is asymmetrical and when the narrow end of the funnel is in the flywheel i can easily pour the oil gently from the watering can without spills and can see the flywheel opening and when I can see oil just starting to wet the threads of the plug opening i stop pouring.
I haven't yet had a major overflow (just leaking from the flywheel) in over thirty years of owning pre select Daimlers.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca ... 91159.html

Cheers
Peter Grant

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks Peter,
The small watering can is a good idea as it's an awkward place to get to on the Lanchester 14.

Frank.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Out of curiosity, what size engine is in your 1936 LA 14 ?

If it's the 1527cc I'm wondering if the FF is slightly smaller ?

Do you know the FF capacity ? (the "Handbook for the Daimler 2½-Litre Consort Saloon and Special-Sports Coupe" states 8½ pints for those cars)

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

The engine capacity is 1539cc. but I can't find any information on the oil capacity of the FF.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

You said that this image was from "the original maintenance manual", I presume that's a small "owner's handbook" , is there a page that summarises all the capacities, or a "Specifications" page instead ?

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

The information I have is a series of photocopies and no summary. I did, however, find a summary page for the LA 11 which has a capacity of 5 pints
of oil. I would assume that it's probably the same for my LA14.

Thanks, Frank.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

That doesn't surprise me because in dry-clutch cars, the size of the flywheel and clutch have a rough correlation with the size of the engine (I'd say the same regarding the gearbox), and it would be strange to have a one-size-fits-all FF.

So I'd not be surprised to find that the FF is smaller on your car than on Daimlers of similar (and later) years, and considering that a dipstick is mentioned in that booklet, I'd speculate that there may be a slightly different filling procedure (depending on where the filling hole is on the FF radius).

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

In answer to the thread saying about the Filler Plug being able to fall down into the Bell Housing , the obvious answer is to pack a piece of Rag or similar , into the gap Before removing it ........simple 😊😊😊😊.
No need to have the vehicle facing downhill either, as the amount of difference will make will be so small, as to make no difference .

Cheers Al 😊😊