Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Replacement Leaf Springs

Cameron

SP250 Replacement Leaf Springs

Post by Cameron »

I think I need to replace the leaf springs on my SP250 as they are bottoming out quite frequently.

From what I’ve read the quality of replacements can be quite variable, so can anyone recommend a good supplier? Also, do they normally come with the bushes or do those need to be sourced separately?

Thanks in advance,

Cameron.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 Replacement Leaf Springs

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I had a pair from Owen Springs in 2013, cost £247.54. They came complete with bushes. They've been on the car for 6 years now and have given no trouble at all.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

I too have purchased two sets of rear springs from Owens. Their quality is first class and they are competitively priced.

Dave.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Also just fitted a set of Owen springs, as supplied by Robert Grinter with his rear shock absorber conversion kit, and am very pleased with the change in ride quality.
As an aside, my springs were new 10,000 miles ago and yet were so worn the complete spring eye bush fell out of one when I took the spring off. I could also flatten the spring by sitting it on it's eyes and standing on it.
(No rude comments, please!)
Interestingly, many odd little rattles the car had have now disappeared with the new springs being fitted, and a very annoying steering shimmy I'd been trying to remove for the last year - even changing the wheels and shocks in the process - has now disappeared completely.

So, in short, well pleased with the new springs (and Robert's conversion kit too).

John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Thanks Nick, Dave & John.

It sounds like Owens is the way to go. I’ll give them a ring in the morning.

John - the rear shock conversion does sound appealing. Robert did my steering rack conversion a few years ago which I’m very happy with. I’ll give it some thought - I’m guessing it’s easy enough to fit if you do it at the same time as the springs?

Regards,

Cameron

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Yes, Cameron, the rear shock conversion is very straightforward to fit and makes a real difference to the roadholding - the rear end feels very much more "taut" and cornering roll is much reduced. Feels good so far!

John
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Thanks John, sounds good.

I’ve ordered a pair of springs from Owen and will try the standard set up first I think.

Unfortunately I need to create another post. I started to remove the springs this afternoon and hit a problem trying to remove the shackle bolt which is seized solid! Looks like I’m in for some fun!

Regards,

Cameron

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

John, have you any pictures of Robert Grinters Shock conversion. I fitted a conversion made by Brian Hills some years ago and it was well rated by Wilf Stevens. I was very impressed by the way the car handled especially on windy roads. I had fitted some uprated hydraulic shocks from Barry Thorne before that but they weren't a bit as good as the conversion. I have now reverted back to the hydraulics as the conversion was starting to groan a bit which became very tiresome. So hence interested in Roberts set up.
Thanks Paul

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hi Paul,

do these help?
P1060623.1.jpg
P1060622.1.jpg
I may have a few others - I'll have a look later.
regards,
John
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thanks John. On Brian Hills conversion the bar that passes under the rear seat bore against the body work there on my car and thus caused the annoying squeak even though I tried putting some padding in. Is Roberts version well clear at that point.
Paul