Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

JedFurneaux

Re: Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

Post by JedFurneaux »

Multigrade oils didn't exist in 1957 so please don't confuse '10/30' with the correct oil which is MONOGRADE 30. A 10/30 multigrade is fine for many modern engines which have far closer machining tolerances but way too thin for 1950's applications. One of the advantages of the Daimler pre select box & fluid flywheel models is that they use the same oil as the engine so on my '30's vintage LQ I buy bulk 20 litre containers of the stuff on e bay. It even does the lawn mower as well! Very economical and free delivery.
Also I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Castrol have a Classic/vintage help line which not only is answered quickly and by a real person but also someone who actually knows his stuff! Check out their website for details.
Check out 'lubetechoil' on eBay. Their Classic HD30 30w monograde low detergent oil (20 ltrs) is currently selling at £45.95 inc free 3 day delivery. There is also a more expensive non detergent Vintage H30 but any classic car with a decent oil filtration system will manage with the cheaper low detergent version.
Bearing in mind you will pay at the very least £16-£20 for 5 litres on the high street this is a massive saving.
Last edited by JedFurneaux on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I always use Castrol XL 30 for both Fluid Flywheel, and my Pr-Selector Gearbox, and Castrol XXL 40 for the Engine,hope this helps ...

Cheers Al 😊

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

daimler oils.pdf
(454.99 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Hi the workshop manual recommends the same 10/30 oil for Engine, Fluid flywheel and Gearbox.
I have used Morris 10/40 for the last 11years and travelled thousands of miles on rally's and holidays no problems.

Chris DJ254

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. For example I did not know that 10/30 was not the same as 10w30. I have got 30 monograde Castrol oil for this task. The engine oil will also need to be changed. Thanks for the info about lawn mower oil, I did wonder....

The noise is present in neutral and every gear when selected, I think. I have been advised of the correct flushing and changing procedure so I will follow that with the correct oil and hopefully that will be the end of that matter.... I will report back once I have had chance to do so.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Alistair
All the manuals are on the club website, go to Member Services then Archives and select the Catalog.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Hi
the recommended lubricants page in the 1956 first edition manual has Shell 10w/30 is this not a multigrade oil?
Chris

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Alistair,
Yes things had moved on by the 50s and the engine used a multigrade, I use 20/50 Classic. However the fluid flywheel and gearbox must have a Straight 30, nothing else.
There are loads of suppliers. I’m using LRT in Lancashire who supply the German FUCHS Oils on a next day service. (On our website)
But there’s Miller, Penrite, Morris, Rock oils all on Google. Also Classic Oils at Bicester know their stuff.
The flywheel oil never degrades only needs topping up now and again but change the gearbox oil every 3000 miles. Don’t drive the car unless the flywheel oil is up to the filler plug as lack of oil not only means lack of motion but crucially the centre bearing gets hot, wears in a few miles then leaks any oil you add. Then it’s engine out for a new seal. Usual story - seal £5, labour £500.
Northwich, Cheshire

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Just noticed this for LRT Lubricates

https://www.lrt-lubricants.co.uk/collec ... engine-oil

10% OFF your next order use code oil10 at checkout
Northwich, Cheshire

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

I got Morris oil from our local farm supplies place. Saves paying carriage.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thanks once again for the information. I'm very new to Daimler ownership and its somewhat different to my usual choices of transport! Seems the club has a lot of the stuff I need, I just need to look in the right place for it all. The last British classic I had was a Woleseley a few years ago and I felt very much "On my own" with that one and I didn't keep it long. Once the weather improves I will venture out to do oil checks and changes. The car has been off the road 12+ years so its a case of "recomissioning" rather than "restoration" - I hope....