Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

non starter

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: non starter

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Brian, sorry to disagree with your description for checking the Timing , your picture and description bears no relevance to this engine !
C2C6CD6C-E79C-4BD3-B16C-67C3B6C897AD.jpeg
Timing mark on Vibration Damper put on by me to assist when refitting Timing Chain ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Last edited by JT7196 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, coming down to Poole sometime next week to look at some LA 10 parts, could call in if you like ,
just E-Mail me and let me know what day suits you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿคฃ

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

JT7196 wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:48 am Hi Brian, sorry to disagree with your description for checking the Timing , your picture and description bears no relevance to this engine !

Timing mark on Vibration Damper put on by me to assist when refitting Timing Chain ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
No that's alright, Lanchester had a strange setup there for sure. That looks very easy to set wrongly without an LA11 owner's handbook - presuming there is an owners handbook with instructions on setting the valve timing ?
JT7196 wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 pm Hi Steve, coming down to Poole sometime next week to look at some LA 10 parts, could call in if you like ,
just E-Mail me and let me know what day suits you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿคฃ

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘
If you're going down that way anyway I'll leave it to you, it's 3 hours each way for me, and Fordingbridge is 70 miles west of my brother anyway. Steve did ask for assistance previously viewtopic.php?p=40025#p40025 but nobody else seemed to have given it any thought :(

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, going down to Fordingbridge on Saturday / Sunday , and hopefully will get the Lanchester running ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Last edited by JT7196 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Hope it all goes well with nothing seriously wrong with it. ;)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Brian, if Steve has failed to find any compression it can only be down to :-

1. Valve Timing incorrectly set.
2. Stuck Piston Rings
3. Head Gasket, (but unlikely to have failed on all cylinders ! )
4. Valve clearances incorrectly set .
I am taking my own Compression Gauge with me, but find it inconceivable that Steve has managed to find Two compression Gauges that have failed to work !!
Itโ€™s going to be an interesting problem to solve, but having had โ€œSeveral โ€œ Head Scratching problems in the past on my own โ€œElevenโ€ ( some not too distant I might add!) I โ€˜recon Iโ€™ll manage to find an answer one way or another .
Iโ€™ll keep you all posted as to my โ€œ findingโ€™s โ€œ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It's one of those extremely intriguing mysteries. That's a comprehensive list of possibilities, the only other issue I can think of is one valve in each cylinder is failing to seal. Whatever is causing lack of compression (assuming the gauges are reading correctly) it begs the question, when was the last time the engine ran.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Brian, apparently about 5 yrs ago, thatโ€™s whatโ€™s leading me into thinking that itโ€™s either sticking Valves ( Iโ€™ll turn the engine over with the Starting Handle to watch their operation) or Piston Rings stuck into the Pistons , we shall see โ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Cheers Al๐Ÿ‘

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

^ good plan Al (and hopefully you've already found the problem by the time I've typed this)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Brian, well the lack of compression was definitely confirmed ! But having checked the Valve timing it would seem that it was out!
Have now removed the Cylinder Head, and confirmed that the Exhaust Valves are not seating , so taking it home to strip and get all the Valves & Seats re-cut , and will get the Head skimmed at the same time.
Have removed the Timing Chain to re- time the Engine , itโ€™s a Pig of a job to get back together again ,so given up for the night , having had a nice meal, now in the local Inn where Im still staying tonight and having a nice cold Lager ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘