Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 door window reassembly - C series

Martyn Ross

Re: SP250 door window reassembly - C series

Post by Martyn Ross »

Job done

Many thanks to all who responded: I purchased new rubber for the bottom channel from David Manners and although it looked really flimsy when it arrived it made a good tight fit to the glass. The Meccano set enclosed in the door took a few days to work out but eventually all fitted back together just fine. I replaced the wires that confused everyone as it was easy to do and helps locate the glass.

As a reward to all I've attached pictures of the differential that failed last month. What began as a barely audible 'tick' became louder over about 400 miles but was difficult to locate until it became a fairly loud 'TICK'. Eventually was sorted by UK Axles of High Wycombe who did a good job.
Attachments
Dickies cogs.jpg
Dickies cogs.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Dickies cogs 4.jpg
Dickies cogs 4.jpg (27.63 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Dickies Cogs 3.jpg
Dickies Cogs 3.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Dickies Cogs 2.jpg
Dickies Cogs 2.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi Martyn, When you say U K Axles did a good job what do you mean?
If it is not a rude question, what did you have replaced and what did it cost?
It would appear you had a nasty experience with your back axle and would be interested to know the outcome for future reference.

Regards Dave.

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Martyn
Good to hear window winder worked out BUT not so good about the diff. Looks awful!!!!!
What actually caused this disaster to happen?
Yours
Kent

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Kent/Dave

Thank you for your sympathy: The diff problem first manifested it to my passenger as a ticking noise - I couldn't hear it, but over a hundred miles or so it became louder but impossible to determine where it was coming from. It had to be transmission and I found it was louder when there was no load on the drivetrain - so acceleration and deacceleration were quiet by comparison to just maintaining a speed.

This all happened just after Dickie (9 WVO) failed his MOT for uneven brake balance at the rear due to a hub seal weeping. I made some enquiries on the forum but decided not to attempt the seal replacement myself, and booked the car in with Phil Glennester for the job. I thought I whilst I was there I would ask his opinion on the increasingly loud tick - but he couldn't fit the job in for six weeks so I simply didn't use the car until I drove it down to him.

Driving from my home in North Bucks down to Hurst the tick became appalling loud and the car (quite literally) staggered to a halt at Phil's workshop. Phil made an accurate diagnosis on the spot....also announcing that he couldn't do the job as he was retiring in a week.
He sorted out a minor problem with the overdrive and checked the diff to confirm he was correct.
As he couldn't do the job he recommended UK Axles in High Wycombe, who arranged collection on a trailer and did the job in a week.

"Supply & fit wheelbearings x 2, hub seals and change C/W Pinion - smashed - £2315.00 ( which include retrieving the car from Hurst)".

The cause - unknown. Some have suggested metal fatigue - but it isn't possible to say.

Hope it don't happen again...........

Martyn

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi Martyn,
You have my deepest sympathy. For this to happen with hardly any warning is terrible!
Who located the replacement gearset? I believe Manners charges about £900 for these. If that be the case it seems the building charge must be about another £900.
I am quite astounded at the total cost to you.

Regards Dave.

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Martyn
My diff blew up many years ago and I replaced it with a Triumph unit from a Standard Vanguard. A lot stronger but what a saga with the modifications necessary to retain the rear disc brakes and correct track.
The diff carrier gave way; the part that the crown wheel bolts to sheared the flange off that the diff bearings mount on. They are a straight right angle not chamfered. This is the major weakness of the early diff; so you end up with a fully floating axle, literally.!!!!
Obviously this means the mesh of the two gears is totally lost allowing the two to float around unsupported, you can imagine the mess that is created and this looks like what has happened to your car.
Enjoy the car from here on in just as I'm enjoying mine !!!!!
Yours
Kent

V8 Junkie

Post by V8 Junkie »

Both the windows on my car are very stiff to operate and there is a lot of side to side movement when winding up or down .Have removed door trim to see if anything obvious,the mechanism seems ok from what I can see, but when operating the window there is a lot of movement of the window in the guides and starts to seize in the guides(channels) I have to help it along by holding it central in the channels

Before removing the window and winding mechanism are there spares to rectify the problem thanks in advance

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

V8 Junkie wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 pm Both the windows on my car are very stiff to operate and there is a lot of side to side movement when winding up or down .Have removed door trim to see if anything obvious,the mechanism seems ok from what I can see, but when operating the window there is a lot of movement of the window in the guides and starts to seize in the guides(channels) I have to help it along by holding it central in the channels

Before removing the window and winding mechanism are there spares to rectify the problem thanks in advance
Part of the play and stiffness can sometimes be corrected by adjusting the guides in the door (remove the door card to do this) to achieve a closer fit with the window frame - and maybe replacing the felts too - but generally the core of the problem is due to wear in the regulator mechanism pivots that allows the window to tilt instead of lifting or lowering vertically. The club had some reproduction regulators manufactured a few of years ago, the first examples of which had an assembly fault that allowed the the window to fall under its own volition. This may have been rectified by now - contact Laurence Jones or Robert Grinter.

An alternative is to fit modified regulators supplied by Christian Demler in Germany (contact details in PasSPort).
Capture.JPG
These include a new window glass bottom channel that also has to be swapped for the original. I fitted these to my own car a little while ago - the kit cost €350 - and they work very well.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The mechanism is similar to the MGB though the arms aren't, it is possible to remove the arms of both and fit the SP arms to the MGB mechanism
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Presumably a leaking hub seal would allow the diff oil to seep out over time. If not noticed then the diff could get very low on oil leading to mechanical breakage.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster