Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP vibration

pbrally

SP vibration

Post by pbrally »

I recently had the Armstrong lever arm rear shocks reconditioned in my SP250 Spec C. Took the car for a spirited drive and it was great! Trouble was the drive eventually managed to show up the weakness in gearbox mounts with the drivers side braking and the drive shaft moving across to drivers side but still able to drive to my mechanic,no vibration just the clicking of the shaft as it rotated and wanted to touch the tunnel. I had the mounts replaced and at the same time the uni joints in the drive shaft. The mounts came from Manners. Immediately after replacing parts the car was tested and a bad vibration was now present. The vibration is there when the car is in neutral and when driving. It is there at idle and gets worse from 1500 to 2500 rpm either when stationary (gear not engaged ) or in drive but never goes away. Because it is there when in neutral I have taken the drive shaft out of the equation. My thoughts..... has the vibration always been there and the mounts have amplified it ? Don't think so as the vibration is big and I am sure it would have been noticed before mounts were changed as the car was very smooth. Have the new solid mounts created it? Engine mounts appear to be ok. I am not sure where to go to from here. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers Pete B Australia

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP vibration

Post by simonp »

The only vibration issues I have had have been with faulty tyres - Avons and then with a worn propshaft due to not being greased on a regular basis. The propshaft was replaced with a new one and have had no problems since.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Jez

Post by Jez »

I had a vibration in the same engine rev range when I first got my SP, which was considerably amplified with the hardtop installed, and was quite concerned as to whether it was an engine issue. However, since fitting an overdrive and consequently changing the mounting arrangements for the gearbox it has all but disappeared. I put it down to worn original mounts, but now wonder if it was a similar issue to what you are now having. All I can think of in terms of diagnostics is to try changing to a different type of mount to see if that improves things.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

pbrally

Post by pbrally »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am thinking that maybe when the gearbox was supported to remove the old mounts that the gearbox bolts could have been slightly loose and when the new mounts have gone in the box is now sitting in a different position causing the vibration being created when the engine is running. The vibration only started immediately once the mounts were changed. I ordered mounts (which are rubber) from David Manners. Are there different mounts that can be used ? and if so where are they available from? Cheers Peter

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Check the rubber in the vibration damper on the front of the engine, or the cooling fan blades (did one get bent somehow when the gearbox (engine) shifted?
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

You wrote:
I had the mounts replaced and at the same time the uni joints in the drive shaft.

When the uni joints were replaced. Have you checked to have the markings on the drive shaft correct aligned again, punch dot (arrow) on the one part alignes with the dot (arrow) on the other part of the drive shaft? Otherwise you may have the mentioned vibration.

Cheers,
Josef

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If the gear box is standard then the mounts are of one type only.
If it is standard then check the rear casting that carries the output shaft. These have been known to crack or you may have misaligned it while driving with damage.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

If it was the gear box you many have felt the vibrations through the gear stick before you had the problem?
Sounds more like the prop shaft has been put back together wrongly or it now need to be balanced, or both!
If you cant find anyone to do it – try these guys – they made me a brand new prop for my XK 150 ( everything) and it was about £100
http://www.northwestpropshafts.com/car-and-motorsport

All you need to do is tell them how long you want and they make then it 30 Mins
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

Tony250w

Post by Tony250w »

It would appear that the fault must lie with the engine, not the transmission, as you say it occurs when idling and stationary and in neutral. You either have a misfire, a cylinder down, or something is out of balance. Hope you find it soon. Tony

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Tony250w wrote:It would appear that the fault must lie with the engine, not the transmission, as you say it occurs when idling and stationary and in neutral. You either have a misfire, a cylinder down, or something is out of balance. Hope you find it soon. Tony
Agreed. And as the gearbox was not removed, then the clutch/flywheel components are likely not to be the cause hence miss fire, cylinder down or one of the rotating parts on the front of the engine.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250