Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 'Twenty' front axle, knowledge please?

JedFurneaux

Daimler 'Twenty' front axle, knowledge please?

Post by JedFurneaux »

Hi All. I need to get the steering cross rod (track rod) off my LQ2/20 complete with the ball joints (track rod ends). The obvious way seemed to be to remove the lock nuts securing the short steering arms to the swivel housing and then remove the arms complete with ball joints & rod so I could get the ball joints off on the bench rather than grovel around on the floor any more than necessary.
I have slackened off the 7/16" Whit. castellated nuts hoping to tap the ends to drive the steering arms out of the swivel housing. Ha! No chance. Having beaten hell out them with a copper mallet I cannot drive them back through the swivel housing.
Does anyone know how they fit into the swivel housing? I am guessing perhaps a spline or key as of course these arms must not be able to move in relation to the swivel housings.
Anyone tackled this before?
Best wishes,
Jeremy.
Attachments
IMG_20200209_151547.jpg

Soundmike

Re: Daimler 'Twenty' front axle, knowledge please?

Post by Soundmike »

I am rebuilding an LQ3-20 but haven't got to the steering yet. But I suspect you might be better to remove the track rod ends rather than the arms. the steering arms are likely to be on a tapered keyed and/or splined shaft, will be the proverbial *#!**^! to remove.
Good luck, I will be interested to see how you get on.