Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Can't add pictures to posts

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
captain bobo

Can't add pictures to posts

Post by captain bobo »

When I try to attach a small (500kbtyte) jpeg image to a message I get the following error message:- It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

This happens in Windows 10 and in Android operating systems. The images are standard jpeg, located in my Desktop in Windows 10 and in a standard photo folder in the Android tablet.

Any guidance please?
Best wishes, Dave B

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: Can't add pictures to posts

Post by Brian-H »

I think that I got an error message like that once when I tried to attach a file that wasn't a proper jpeg even though it had the ,jpg extension (I can't remember now what I'd done to it, but I was aware that there might be something not quite legit even before I tried to attach it). Try loading it into something like MS Paint, then use "save as" in MS Paint (or whatever) and save as jpeg with a different name. If MS Paint can't load it, then the other way would be to load it into a slide in MS Powerpoint, then save the picture/image in the slide as a new picture in the correct format.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

It may be that the image is corrupted somehow. As Brian says, open your original image and save it again as .jpg rather than .jpeg (there's no difference other than the suffix, but it might help.)
There are other images that are small, less than 60KB, which have be posted so it's not too small.

If you still have no success, save your image as .gif as this format is often used for small images like icons, or as a .png image.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thanks for the comments. I emailed myself from my tablet (where I took the photos) to my PC. The app that I used to send the photos to my PC applied some kind of compression algorithm that my PC attempted to decode and didn't quite get it right. So I did it the hard way: connected my tablet to my PC as if it was a disk drive and copied the images onto my PC desktop. Then used PaintshopPro to open the images, reduce the filesize to below 2 MB, then save as jpeg. It worked, the pictures are now posted in my posting elsewhere in the forum.
Best wishes, Dave B