Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Heater box

bobtills

Heater box

Post by bobtills »

I need to refurbish my heater box (V8-250) but I can't see where all the nuts & bolts are !!!!

I did a search for 'heater' and 'heater box' but the message comes back that these words are too common - seems most of my searches get this result :(

I have removed the obvious top 2 and can see one underneath the motor which I can't get at but the manual says there are 2 more, which I can't even see never mind get to.

I have disconnected the cables at the heater box end, although the manual says do this inside the cabin - will I have to disconnect something inside the cabin as well?

Having undone the obvious top 2 the box doesn't move when pulled - is this because of an as yet unfound bolt or do they stick after all these years and just have to be levered off?

Is Woollies the best place for new covering material?

Any help or hints would be very welcome (especially where to get a new back) :D

Paulkennedy

Re: Heater box

Post by Paulkennedy »

See earlier thread Nov 30 heater/ demister

Paul

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

Thanks Paul but that's all about an SP250.

Some stuff in there will be useful, I'm sure, but I can't even get the thing off the car yet!

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

There are only four small cotton reel type bolts holding the h/box on, two along the top left and right that you can get to easy, there is one facing downwards beneath the fan, and another on the opposite side under the bonnet hinge facing down.
And by the way there is also a metal heater pipe fixed by two spring clips under the heater box.
Jag_Blog-546.jpg
Steve.

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

Thanks everybody - got it off and taken it apart. 2 bobbins at the top and one at the bottom plus 2 bolts - one under the hinge and another under the motor which was almost impossible to get undone - had it been rusty I'm not sure I could have done it until the engine was out.

A pleasant surprise once the heater box was off - the cavity under the fresh air flap was near perfect - I had been worried that it might have been a rusty mess in there.

Then it came apart much easier than I thought it would - didn't need the hammer much but generous applications of WD40 helped.

It was originally covered with some sort of fibre-backed vinyl and I'm debating whether or not to replace this or just clean & paint it to a good standard. Does this stuff serve a purpose or is it just to make it look pretty? I can see that it might provide a sound or heat barrier but I've seen cars that don't have it. Any ideas?

armstrong whitworth

Post by armstrong whitworth »

I believe the material is Hardura, the same as is used in places behind the dashboard for insulation; Woolies certainly sell it. From what I've read, Jaguar heater boxes were not covered, but Daimler ones always were, apparently to add insulation to improve heater performance. I re-covered my heater some years ago - it was a relatively straightforward job using Evostick. I added black silicone sealant to seal the raw edges to prevent moisture ingress and it's held-up quite well.